4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2016 8:31 AM by sneha.pandit

Filters

sneha.pandit

Is it possible to display data for default selections from a filter (I have a filter which shows dates, report needs to display TOP 12 by default) and the user should be able to select other dates (which could be more than 12).

• 1. Re: Filters
          Bill Lyons

Yes, that is the purpose of filters. If you can be more specific about what you are wanting to do, and can attach a sample packaged workbook (.twbx), we are more likely to be able to help.

• 2. Re: Filters
            sneha.pandit

Hi Bill. Good to know that it is possible. I cannot attach a packaged workbook as it is restricted data unfortunately. What I am trying to do is show the top 12 months by default on the report and our report has a month filter which should show only those 12 selected, all other months should be in the filter but not selected. Users should see top 12 by default when the report loads but should be able to select more than 12 months later. Would you be able to share, how I should do this?

• 3. Re: Filters
              Bill Lyons

I cannot attach a packaged workbook as it is restricted data unfortunately.

I'm sorry, but there are always many options, including Tableau's Superstore database, or the techniques found in Anonymize your Tableau Package Data for Sharing |Tableau Support Community.

Your use of "top 12" in relation to "dates" or "months" is confusing. Are you meaning the 12 months with the top performance? Are you meaning the 12 most recent months? The attached example using the Superstore database shows both options, with both allowing the user to expand the number of months shown.

Your added statement, "...show only those 12 selected, all other months should be in the filter but not selected," adds something that I do not believe is possible in Tableau Desktop. Programmatic or automatic selection of marks is not currently possible. Might be a good Idea. You could probably accomplish this by using Javascript and the Javascript API with a sheet published in Tableau Server or Tableau Online.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Filters
                sneha.pandit

Thanks Bill. I have used javascript in the past for implementing a similar logic. I might have to take the same route this time.