9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 11:33 AM by Yuriy Fal

View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server

Bill Immer

Hi Group,

Thumbnails are not being generated when I publish anymore.  This seemed to happen about around a 9.1 update.  I've updated server and desktop to 9.2.6 but I'm still getting the same thing.  These were existing workbooks where we make a tweak or two and re-publish.  I was getting thumbs before but no more.

I have verified that the workbook still has the "Generated Thumbnails as User" populated.  As far as my setup: I have a data source published to server, and the datasource has a user filter.  Then my workbooks connect to the server data source.  With this I don't see the user filter in my workbooks, but when I publish my user security works.

But now no thumbs!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--bill

• 1. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
          Brian Coggon

Hi Bill,

Here is a short list of things that may fix this issue:

Please check the response using a different browser.

Clear the browser cache.

Try re-publishing the workbook.

Is IE in “compatibility mode”?

Is JavaScript fully enabled?

Have you rebuilt the search index in Tableau Server? (Rebuild the Search Index)

Thanks for giving these a try. If one of these processes resolves the issue, please let me know.  If not you may need to file a case with Tableau Support.

Cheers,

Brian

• 2. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
            Bill Immer

Thanks Brian,

We had tried everything on your list but the rebuild index.  I just tried that but still no thumbs.  We are seeing this across all browsers and devices so it must be a thumb generation problem.

I think the problem is based on my published data source having the user filter in it.  And my workbooks with missing thumbs use the published data source, but have no user filters of their own.

I've opened a case and have submitted log files so hopefully they will find something.  This worked in the past.

Thanks,

--bill

• 3. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
              Bill Immer

I have an update to share from Tableau Support. 

It looks like, that starting at 9.1, you will not get thumbs no matter what you do if you have a user filter in your published data source.  I can't understand why I can't specify that I want thumbs.  We are going to miss them....

The suggestion was to move the user filters out of the data source and into each workbook - which adds to maintenance.  I've included my reply from support below.  Even though I was not happy at all with the outcome, the support I received was very good.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have some interesting news regarding this case. After
              teaming up with our developers and senior engineers, it turns out this is
              expected behavior as of version 9.1 and later. You will not see view/workbook
              thumbnails if you are connected to a published data source that has a user
              filter as part of the published data source. This was an intentional feature
              added because it was decided as a security issue where users were able to see
              data they were not supposed to.

This makes more sense to me as it seemed to be a very
              strange issue as nothing else seemed to be affected and we were able to see and
              interact with data as expected. Nonetheless, I wanted to inform you about this
              added feature and why it started occurring once upgraded to 9.1 and later.

I hope this proves useful and I believe the above
              information will answer the question. We may send a survey to confirm that the
              case has been fully resolved. We appreciate any feedback on this case as well
              as the general Tableau Technical Support experience.

• 4. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                David Barham

We also have been hit by this problem as a result of recently upgrading.

We deliberately included data filters in the published data source because

• we have multiple workbooks using the data source, so it makes sense to keep the filter in one place
                • as we start rolling out desktop to some users, we want them to be able to use the published data source with the security filter in place.

I can sort of understand why Tableau have done this, but I don't think they have adequately thought through the consequences.  The problem lies around a person with restricted access to data (ie as defined by a data filter in a published data source) being able to use Desktop to publish a workbook using that data source.  I'll have to think a bit more about the implications of that.

As for workarounds, the only one I can see for us is to remove the "data source filter" from the published data source and add a "data source filter" to the workbooks that consume that data.  This is a workable solution only if we don't roll Desktop out to users who have a restricted view of the data (which is probably a safe assumption at the moment).

I have tested this and it seems to work.  Just make sure that when you open Desktop to add the data source filter to the workbook that you are using a user that can see all the data, otherwise strange things happen with the data source filter.

• 5. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                  Vincent Baumel

We run into this problem with some frequency too, but with Tableau Online. It doesn't seem to be a permission thing or a user profile issue for us though - sometimes it works, sometimes not. Some workbooks will only have one dashboard not load a thumbnail, but the rest are fine. No rhyme or reason, and the only thing that has seemed to work has been to just keep republishing until it correctly loads all of the thumbnails. Pretty frustrating, to be honest.

• 6. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                    Sivasankar Muthusamy

Hi

I run into the similar issue. Some of the dashboard published  on tableau online does not render the thumbnail. Republishing them again will brings the preview back to the dashboard. No defined patter for the issue, it  happening randomly .  I am on Tableau Desktop 10.5.0 with Tableau online.

• 7. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                      Yuriy Fal

Hi Sivasankar,

I'm curious where did you get the TD version 10.5.1 ? ;-)

Yours,

Yuri

• 8. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                        Petya Angelova

It's a typo . My server versión is 10.4.1, Desktop -> 10.5

Regards,

• 9. Re: View and Workbook thumbnails not generated on Tableau Server
                          Yuriy Fal

Petya, you're a clairvoyant :-)

Update_to_10.5.1_NOW.png

Updating right now.

Yours,

Yuri