I'm at the end of researching this any further. There is not acceptable result, but here's what I've found:
- The performance improved when I installed the "supported" version of Rserve (v0.6.8). This is an older version of Rserve, so be cognizant of what version you are installing. The performance on the remote Linux machine went from taking over an hour to render results, to returning results in 7 minutes or so.
- With that said, tests still showed that the local version of Rserve was 10X faster than the remote version.
- Using the remote instance of Rserve will not be acceptable in our environment. The time-to-result is too long.
- Using Rserve locally on the production server machines isn't currently an option I'm willing to explore. It would not be good practice to add a service that may compete with Tableau Server for resources. I possibly would consider it if Rserve performance and resource requirements were documented well enough to make informed decisions.
- Tableau Support response: "...the described issue falls beyond our scope. ..While we cannot investigate further into why the remote RServe instance is slow...I can confirm that a local install is usually much faster."
Let me hear if your experience differs from this.