6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 8:33 AM by Ricky Leung

Extra white space when published

Kinsey Owen

I am trying to embed a viz of maps into a website and it has come to my attention that there is extra white space at the bottom between where my viz ends and the tableau footer bar. Is there a way to move that footer bar up ?

Best,

Kinsey

• 1. Re: Extra white space when published
          Zack Gorman

Hi Kinsey,
          Would you mind sharing the viz with us? That would probably help us more accurately find an answer to your problem. Otherwise my guess is that you have different sized visualizations that you're sharing, as this can sometime add additional white space at the bottom of your shorter vizzes in the workbook.
          Hope this helps,
          Zack Gorman
          InterWorks

• 2. Re: Extra white space when published
            Kinsey Owen

Hey Zack,

Thank you for responding

I am inserting a picture of my map viz and you can see the gap between the source and the tableau footer area - I have tried to re size the range of the viz itself but when I make it any shorter in height than this it shifts to automatic and spreads way to far out horizontally. Currently in my dashboards I have the range set to min w420 h560 max w650 h645 .. I don't know if that is helpful to know but figured I would include that.

Tableau map forum example 4.PNG

Best,

Kinsey

• 3. Re: Extra white space when published
              Zack Gorman

Hi Kinsey,
              I think more than anything else, there's just a lot of white space at the bottom of these visualizations which makes it look off kilter. I found your viz on Tableau Public and reworked a few small things (Shortened the size of the dashboards, moved the labels to consistent positions, etc.) that should help things look a little more in line with what you're hoping for. You may want to look at Tiling the objects instead of floating them in the future, as this can make the re-sizing process a lot easier for you.
              Best of Luck,
              Zack Gorman
              InterWorks

• 4. Re: Extra white space when published
                Kinsey Owen

Hey Zack,

You are literally my favorite person for helping me out with this - I was wondering though how you can fix things in Tableau Public and it automatically changes. Seeing as this will be embedded into a website not that anyone would, but if someone were to alter things on Tableau Public would it change on the website it is housed on as well?

Best,

Kinsey 

• 5. Re: Extra white space when published
                  Zack Gorman

Hey Kinsey,

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad this helps out.

So what I did here was find your post on Tableau Public, download a copy for myself, and then save it locally. What I attached was that version I saved locally on my computer. Thankfully no one has the power to change what you've done on Tableau Public besides you. When you embed the visualization on a web page, you'll be the only one with the ability to make changes to it. I can make another version and upload it myself, but it won't overwrite anything you've done.

Hope this clears things up,
                  Zack Gorman
                  InterWorks

• 6. Re: Extra white space when published
                    Ricky Leung

Hello, I'm having a similar problem - but the white space occurs above the viz when I use the embed code to put it in a post on my webpage

I can't link to the site (because I don't want this post made public until it's fixed), but here is a screenshot and a link to the map on Tableau. Thanks so much!!!!! I hope your brilliant genius mind has some ideas. tab-spacing.PNGhttps://public.tableau.com/static/images/20/2016BathroomBillStateLegislation/Story1/1.png