7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2016 6:29 AM by Gerardo Varela

Reference line inference

Murali Sridharane

Hi,

In below report, i added a reference line at 90% in Y Axis. I would like to know the corresponding value in X-axis. (In this case the value is 3) Is that possible to extract the value the value from Graph ?

Of-course i can visually see it. But i need to create multiple reference lines for every 5% increase and prepare a separate report.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 2.17.03 PM.png

• 1. Re: Reference line inference
          Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi Murali,

Post a sample workbook.

• 2. Re: Reference line inference
            Murali Sridharane

Hi Tharashasank,

I have attached sample workbook which has 3 reference lines (30%, 50% and 80%)

Im looking for a way for tableau to tell me where those reference lines hit the Graph and its corresponding X axis.

like below:

30 % -> SW

50% -> SE

80% -> NE

In the sample workbook it doesn make much sense, but im my original request, i wanted to find out "time taken to reach  XX %"  and i can keep that XX as a variable. This report will go to users to measure cycle time of a process. Users can change the filtering criteria which will alter the graph and in-turn the cycle time will change. And the new cycle time should reflect in the report.

Thanks for looking into it.

• 3. Re: Reference line inference
              Rody Zakovich

Murali Sridharane wrote:

Of-course i can visually see it. But i need to create multiple reference lines for every 5% increase and prepare a separate report.

AND

but im my original request, i wanted to find out "% of time taken to reach  XX %"  and i can keep that XX as a variable

Can you elaborate on these?

I'm not sure if what you are asking is going to be possible since you are using a Table Calc (Running Sum).

But I want to be sure before I explain why.

Regards,

Rody

• 4. Re: Reference line inference
                Murali Sridharane

Hi Rody,

Im preparing a dashboard / report to measure cycle time of a process. My X axis is the cycle time in hours, and Y axis is number of records processed in the system. 

I then did a running total and  % of total to find of % of records processed in hours.  In my original request, you can see, it took 3 hours for the system to reach 90 % of data processing. The system took a total of 40 Hours to complete.

Users are interested to know the cycle time to reach 90 %  of file processing and they have the ability to modify the filters and date ranges.

So, im looking for a way to find out the X axis value and present it in a table.  Which will vary based on filter criteria.

Please let me know if there is a way to get the details. If that is not possible for running sum, can i get it using a different calculation ?

• 5. Re: Reference line inference
                  Gerardo Varela

Murali,

I’m not exactly sure what you are looking for since the data from original post change doesn’t match your example workbook. That being said, I did mock up a couple of options that I hope get you pointed in the right direction. 

You can’t use Tableau generated reference lines for calculations so you’re going to have to make your own. Example reference line:

Ref Line 80

(WINDOW_SUM((SUM([Count]))) / TOTAL(SUM([Count])))*.80

In the attached workbook in the sheet Reference Lines you’ll every instance colored as per your example:

30 % -> SW

50% -> SE

80% -> NE

From your original post, I believe that you only want the value of x only when the reference line matches the bar chart.   You’ll see an example of that in Exact Check (with some rounding) worksheet.  You’ll quickly see why I rounded if you increase the number of decimal places on the calculated field. All this might not work in your real data, but like I stated I’m hoping it gives you some ideas.

Regards,

Gerardo

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Reference line inference
                    Murali Sridharane

Hi Gerardo,

You gave a very good insight.  I tried your method and able to replicate it.. But i was looking more towards tabular output.

So i solved the issue like below

Created table with Cycle time, Running sum of number of records.

Then third column is a calculated field with formula : RUNNING_SUM(if [Running sum of number of records] >= [Reference] THEN 1 ELSE 0 END)

[Reference] is a parameter control.

and Filtering 3rd column for " 1 " gives me the answer.

Thanks for your help..

• 7. Re: Reference line inference
                      Gerardo Varela

Murali,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm happy you found a solution.

Regards,

Gerardo