3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2016 7:30 AM by Shawn Wallwork

How to automatically refresh Access query connections

Misha Britan

Hi.

I have a number of views in Tableau Desktop that are all connected to the same Access file, that has multiple queries.

When I open my twbx file, the data is stale, and when I hit F5, or right click and refresh, nothing happens.

The only thing that works is going to change the data source, and selecting the original Access file; then after significant loading time, all the views connected to the that data source are refreshed.

This does not seem right, so what am I doing wrong? Thank you.

• 1. Re: How to automatically refresh Access query connections
          Shawn Wallwork

A twbx file is actually a zip file. When you save your workbook as a packaged workbook, Tableau gathers up everything it needs to create your viz. (This lets you send it to someone who doesn't have access to your Access db.) So what's happening is that T is no longer sending queries to your original Access db, but instead they are sent to the db (or extract) that is inside the zip file.  The best way to deal with all this is to save your files as unpackaged workbooks until you are in need of a packaged workbook, and then export a packaged workbook (instead of saving as a twbx).

If you want to dig deeper into what's saved where, what get orphaned, etc. then here's the best source: O Extract, Where Art Thou? | Drawing with Numbers

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to automatically refresh Access query connections
            Misha Britan

Thank you Shawn, this is helpful.

So just to summarize, are you saying that there is really no way to refresh the twbx upon re-opening it?

In other words, I shouldn't keep my dashboards as a twbx, instead, I should keep them as twb? and then hit export whenever I am ready?

• 3. Re: How to automatically refresh Access query connections
              Shawn Wallwork

So just to summarize, are you saying that there is really no way to refresh the twbx upon re-opening it?

That's not exactly true, but for your purposes it's close enough, especially since this is true:

In other words, I shouldn't keep my dashboards as a twbx, instead, I should keep them as twb? and then hit export whenever I am ready?

Yes, you really only need to package them when you need to share them (e.g. post them on Public, send to customer, post on the forums, etc.) Otherwise just keep saving them as unpackaged (twb) files.

Cheers,

--Shawn

2 of 2 people found this helpful