8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2017 11:08 AM by Vineet Gavri

Export a dashboard with multiple sheets

Shannon Lepore

If you have a dashboard that has multiple sheets is it possible to export everything (all sheets) on that dashboard to an Excel file?  I’m not interested in exporting the underlying data, I need to export the actual visualizations.  From what I’ve read it appears that this functionality does not exist in Tableau which is disappointing.  We are attempting to replace an OBIEE dashboard with Tableau but one of the requirements is to export reports from the new Tableau dashboard.  This functionality exists in OBIEE and we need to replicate it in Tableau otherwise we won’t be able to move forward with Tableau as a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

• 1. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
          Joe Oppelt

When you say "export reports", are you talking about the image/snapshot of what's on the dashboard?

Exporting to excel is done on a sheet-by-sheet basis, not all the sheets on a dashboard.  You can export the whole dashboard as an image or export it to PDF, but not to excel.

What you can do is this though.  Publish the individual sheets to the server.  Open them on the server.  Each sheet gets its own URL in the following format:

HTTP:// (server name)/ (sheet name)

When you open the sheet on the server, save the URL.  If you modify the URL to add " .CSV " to the end, Tableau (actually, your browser) will open it in excel.

So the new URL will look something like this:

HTTP:// (server name)/ (sheet name).CSV

Open that, and you'll get your sheet in excel.  Only the data, though.  Not the viz itself.  (No bars or lines or heatmap...)

You'll have to do that on a sheet-by-sheet basis.  Not for the whole dashboard.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
            Joe Oppelt

But if you just want the image, from the published dashboard you can click the download icon (near the center-top.  It's a U-shaped box with an arrow in it.)  From there you can select "Image" or "PDF",  I would go with PDF because you get options for what parts of the dashboard you actually want to save to PDF.  ("Image" is just a picture of the dashboard.)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
              Shannon Lepore

"When you say "export reports", are you talking about the image/snapshot of what's on the dashboard?  No, I am trying to export all the sheets in a dashboard to an Excel file.  I know that Tableau only allows exporting of one sheet at a time but I was wondering if there is a work around or a 3rd party tool that someone might be aware of.  We are replacing an OBIEE dashboard with Tableau but there are reports set up in the OBIEE version where users exporting everything (multiple charts and tables) to Excel.  The output needs to be Excel, not an image because the users make additional changes to it.

Also, your example of saving the sheets to the server and then adding the file extension .csv isn't going to work in my case since I need the visualization.,

• 4. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
                Joe Oppelt

I hope someone has some magic for you.  You're trying to do something Tableau is not made for.

As far as I know, if you want to change what's in the viz, you have to change it in Tableau.

• 5. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
                  alex.ewing

Been looking for a more efficient way to do this since even though "it's not what it's designed for" I essentially don't have a choice, so this is incredibly helpful thankyou.

"it's not what it's designed for" is an irritating thing to hear, Tableau contains the functionality to do a lot of things it wasn't designed for, I might be wrong but if they have an option to export all tabs to PDF I don't see why adding the option to export all tabs to excel would be such a difficult thing to do, especially when it would make so many people's lives easier.

Thanks again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
                    Natalia Lebedev

Shannon,

Have you been able to find a workaround?

• 7. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
                      bitasta dam

Is there any workaround  found so far?

• 8. Re: Export a dashboard with multiple sheets
                        Vineet Gavri

At tableau conference saw a solution to this using tableau extension that should be upcoming next  year on tableau server