6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 5:14 AM by Mark Fraser

Number of projects per city dictating size on map

Richard Birket

I am an absolute beginner having only discovered Tableau earlier this morning. We are a company that create computer generated images of buildings. We are based in Oxford and London, but our projects are in various towns and cities across the UK, and a few overseas.

I am interested in creating a map that has coloured dots that are sized according to the number of projects we have run in those cities, and coloured according to the construction sector: residential, commercial, industrial etc.

Most projects are in London, so it would be great to be able to zoom into the BIG dot of London (for example) and have it split into the different projects as we get close enough to see distinct streets.

Is this sort of thing possible with Tableau?

• 1. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
          Chris McClellan

Welcome Richard

It's definitely possible (and very easy) to have a dot at the location (assuming you have the lat/long co-ordinates) with the size representing how many projects and the colour showing the sector.

It gets a little bit more tricky when you want to split the details while zooming (I've never had to do that before so I'm not 100% sure how to tackle it). 

Also, how do you want it to display when you have projects in different sectors at the same location - maybe a pie graph ?

Anyway, some dummy data would be great to start playing with.  I'm pretty busy this week, but if I have time I'll mock up some stuff for you

• 2. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
            Mark Fraser

Hi Richard

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tableau

As Chris has mentioned, most of what you want is possible, and actually (depending on your data) really easy.

Let me walk you through (I am using the superstore sample data set - which comes with Tableau)

I am interested in creating a map that has coloured dots that are sized according to the number of projects we have run in those cities, and coloured according to the construction sector: residential, commercial, industrial etc.

Create a new sheet

Double click City, you should get a map appear, with lots of blue dots.

Drag Country to filter, selected United Kingdom, press ok

below is a part screenshot of where we should be

Now onto colouring according to sector, we have category, so we'll use that.

Drag category to the colour card and drop it

You map should now have dots but in 3 colours

Next size, drag Sales on Size (right of colour)

I have squashed it up, but it should now look like this -

Colour indicates which category

Size indicates volume of sales

These would be swapped in your example to sector and number of projects

I'll stop there for now, what i produced is attached v9.2.4

if you have any questions, please post back

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
              Richard Birket

Thankyou all - I will look through these suggestions and have a try.

I must say I don't like the format of this forum. Very confusing.

• 4. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
                Mark Fraser

Hi Richard

I hope you can follow the steps I have provided above, I used the Superstore data which is supplied with Tableau.

If you get stuck, let us know and we'll try and help.

I must say I don't like the format of this forum. Very confusing.

Thank you for your feedback, that's very interesting... could you elaborate further?

The forum was recently upgraded, I know Tableau Community will be interested in suggestions to further improve the forums.

Best of luck with the viz!

Cheers

Mark

• 5. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
                  Richard Birket

I might just be a bit old fashioned I guess! The forum style I'm used to is more like this:-

ForumCategories.jpg

ForumSingleCat.jpg

• 6. Re: Number of projects per city dictating size on map
                    Mark Fraser

Old fashioned is fine!

That structure/ type forum is very common, and just works.

I suppose our closest match is >> Forums or Crow's Nest

There are 2 forum overview pages, one I like/ use, the other I avoid, I wonder if you have the same -

Personally I use this view >> https://community.tableau.com/welcome

and never this >> Forums

I should explain... The reason for my questions, apart from my own interest, is that I am a forum ambassador, and its really useful to get user feedback, we can always improve.