2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2016 11:07 PM by vijay k

How to display two datasets on the map, having different lat and lng?

Desislav Savov

Hi, I want to display the football teams on the map from the two excel files, as the teams from the premier league to have different color from the championship teams. So I can then compare them with their home and away arrests. I have tried with joins and with duel axis, but no result. I will be glad if someone helps me

• 1. Re: How to display two datasets on the map, having different lat and lng?
          Bill Lyons

What you need is what is known in SQL as a "union" of the two data sets. Since you have them in Excel, the simplest way is to copy and paste the data together into one data source, adding a field (column) which identifies the source of the data row. If there are columns that are different in the two data sets, you will need to add columns as appropriate. In a future version of Tableau, unions such as this will be possible with the data connection editor, but that is not available in released versions at this time.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to display two datasets on the map, having different lat and lng?
            vijay k

Coordinates for points on a map can come from only one data source. If the two data sets have nothing in common, then you will need to either use two maps (one for each data source) and place them side-by-side on a dashboard (if ther has same fields one can create a map for common fields only)OR if both need to be used in the same view, consider using SQL to somehow union join the two data sets together such that geocode/coordinate information comes from one data source.

1 of 1 people found this helpful