1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 2:58 PM by Steve Mayer

Display data based on CY or FY based on Parameter

Aimee Dubbs

I'm trying to benchmark some data based on several different surveys. Internally we benchmark against a FY based dataset while we also benchmark external data against a CY based dataset.  I'm also using a blended data set which complicates things.

I need some ideas:

I've tried to use a parameter to switch between two date fields (one is a CY based version and the other is a FY based version), and this does not work based on how I have set it up.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to make this work?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Display data based on CY or FY based on Parameter
          Steve Mayer

Aimee -

We probably need some more details to be able to help - maybe you can create a workbook using the Superstore data & blend with data mocked up in Excel?

That said, I've solved some thorny fiscal year issues by not using the built-in fiscal year functionality in Tableau, but rather creating an "Adjusted" date calculated field that simply translates a FY date into a CY date.

For example, if your fiscal year starts in April 2015, you can "adjust" all dates to calendar 2016 with the calculated field:

DATEADD('month', 9, [My Date])

So April = January, May = February, June = March, etc.

Maybe this will spark an idea for you...

Otherwise please post a packaged workbook & I'm sure someone here will help you out.

-Steve