3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 2:10 AM by naveen kumar

Issue with Tableau desktop connection with  Datastax Cassandra 2.1 Community Edition through SimbaCassandraODBC_Windows-2.2 64-bit

sneha shinde

Hi

I am currently using tableau trial version. I am trying to connect Tableau with Datastax Cassandra 2.1 community edition and using Simba Casssadra ODBC connector for the same.

When I setup DSN and test the connection it works fine. But when i try to connect Tableau for the same it shows me errors saying the drivers not installed. I also checked with Datastax Cassandra ODBC driver 1.0 64-bit version.

Please let me know if it supports Community edition of Cassandra or we need to have Enterprise edition.

Also here are the attached snippets of the error message

Thanks

• 1. Re: Issue with Tableau desktop connection with  Datastax Cassandra 2.1 Community Edition through SimbaCassandraODBC_Windows-2.2 64-bit
          sneha shinde

I am able to connect now and fetch data.

I had to use other ODBC connector in Tableau and used Simba ODBC connector for the DSN connection.

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Issue with Tableau desktop connection with  Datastax Cassandra 2.1 Community Edition through SimbaCassandraODBC_Windows-2.2 64-bit
            Tharashasank Davuluru

Accessing MongoDB data in Tableau using Simba

Purpose & Requirement: Currently Tableau does not provide MongoDB Data Connector, but it does support ODBC Connectors. Mongo Connector for Simba is one such ODBC Connector. Simba’s ODBC connector allows you to make quick analytic insights and leverage back end data source high performance calculation capabilities for your favorite BI client which in our case is Tableau

Use following steps in order to access mongoDB data in Tableau via Simba.

1. Visit URL www.simba.com/connectors/mongodb-odbc in order to download trial version of Simba for mongoDB. Provide neccessary details there and note that the email Id provided will recieve the trail license key from Simba.

2. Once downloaded run the proper installer based on your System Type ( 64-bit or 32-bit ).

3. Check email Id provided during registration, inbox of which should have recieved mail from Simba and an attached license key with .lic extension.

4. Download the license file from email inbox, and copy it to the 'C:\Program Files\Simba MongoDB ODBC Driver\lib' folder.

5. As Simba is installed using default configuration press Windows key and search for '64-bit ODBC Administrator' ( for 32 bit users search for 32-bit ODBC Administrator ). This should open following screen. Make sure 'mongod' is running ( mongoDB server is up ).

6. Press 'Configure' and provide default mongoDB connection details such as Host, Port and Database.

7. Press 'Schema Definition' button once details for appropriate host, port and database has been provided. Based on the database name provided this window allow to select one or all of the collections for the database. For all click 'General All'. For simplicity 'location' collection is choosen.

8. Click 'Edit Schema' to view data and modify the default data types choosen by Simba

9. Click on 'Upload Metadata'. A success message will pop-up.

10. Above step creates a .sdd file to the location provided in External Schema file path.

11. Now in order for Tableau to understand the configuration of Simba, copy the '.tdc' provided by Simba along with installer to the path 'C:\Users\viraj.amipara\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources'.

12. Open Tableau 8.3.

13. Click 'Connect to Data'.

14. Click 'Other ODBC Sources' and select 'Simba MongoDB DSN'. Press Connect.

15. Press 'Ok' on the next step.

16. The next screen allows you to select database and collection from that database.

17. Select collection of your choice. In case join needs to be performed multiple collections can be selected.

18. Press 'Go to Worksheet'.

19. All options for data visualization of Tableau are now available for use on mongoDB data source.

• 3. Re: Issue with Tableau desktop connection with  Datastax Cassandra 2.1 Community Edition through SimbaCassandraODBC_Windows-2.2 64-bit
              naveen kumar

Hi Sneha, try to help me out.

I am facing the same situation.

Iam having server connection error. Pls do have a look at error2.PNG or second image

I tested the connection it's fine. But got the same error. I will attach you the screenshots for your reference. Please let me know how you overcome this situation. Your help is much appreciated. If possible try to mail me how you connected to me on  amsupport@mytrah.com or naveennaravala@gmail.com

IfError1.PNG

Error2.PNG