1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2016 6:39 AM by Charlie Archer

Problem with Donut chart due to -ve values

Somok Sarkar

Hello Folks,

I came across a requirement where with the help of a donut chart I am unable to represent the data. I tried to replicate the data.

In the chart I am using 2 measure value's 1. Target Achieved and 2. remaining target.

Now for few cases I have Target achieved is more than that projection.

Eg 1 . Prod 1 Target is 70, Achieved 60, so remaining is 10. Now this 60+10 would create the donut/pie.

however in another case I have Prod 5 Target is 70, Achieved 100, so remaining is -30. since its in negative hence representation wouldn't be correct. Can someone please give me so idea about any better representation?

I know -ve and +ve both value plotting as a pie wouldn't be possible.

So any other view, like if the chart color change could help a better representation?

Attached the excel and the .twbx file.

• 1. Re: Problem with Donut chart due to -ve values
          Charlie Archer

Hi Somok,

In examples where you want to compare a value against a target, i tend to use a bullet chart.

In your example:

- Add [Name] to Columns

- Add [SUM(Sales)] and [SUM(target)] to Rows

- Create a dual axis on rows

- Change [SUM(Sales)] to mark 'Bar' and [SUM(target)] to mark 'Gantt'

- Change colours and reformat

This will now show performance relative to the target and show over-performance more effectively than you would be able to with a donut chart.

Another way of doing this would be using a standard bar chart and adding a reference line to the x-axis (right click).

For either option you could use a parameter to make this more dynamic.

Thanks,

Charlie