1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 3:22 AM by Jonathan Velarde

Refresh schedules failing

Maria Samper

Hello,

I have some schedules in Tableau Server which sometimes fail without no reason.

It could be because the server is busy? If so, why Tableau Server is not warning about this?

I couldn't find anything more than this article: Scheduled Extract Does Not Refresh on Schedule But Can Be Run Manually | Tableau Software

but this is happening sometimes not always so it will not be a permissions issue.

thanks,

Maria.

• 1. Re: Refresh schedules failing
          Daniel Vincent

From the server portal in upper right does it show which are failing and if so what error message is given (i.e. out of date, etc)  This could be anything from a schedule being deleted, incorrect password for the data source/dashboard sources, etc.

• 2. Re: Refresh schedules failing
            Maria Samper

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid we are not able to see any error and that's the big problem, Tableau doesn't warn about this and the clients are the ones who notify the issue to us.

I need to be all the time checking the refreshes now and therefore losing time of my work.

The schedules are right because I run the schedules manually. It's not a permission issue because sometimes they refresh themselves (it's completely random).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Maria.

• 3. Re: Refresh schedules failing
              David Mannering

Have you tried raising the priority of the schedule? 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                Maria Samper

yes, to 1. and nothing.

• 5. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                  Jonathan Velarde

Good Day!

Hi Mam..,

Just to share., Tableau Server Schedule has some dependencies for example you extract data that need to be refreshed was connected to your SQL server. Sometimes the main reason why the schedule on Tableau server was failed due to space allocation of the server. (Sample is tempDB of SQL server takes a lot of space in your disk). Which my main problem before. Also some reason of this is the time limit of refreshing extract was too short, so once the time limit was reached, but your extract still not yet finished, your connection will be disconnected. Try to configure your time limit in refreshing your extract data. And you may also check the background task on your server to see the main reason why your refreshing extracts were failed.

Please check sample screenshot.

Hope it will help you. If not clear please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks and God Bless

Regards,

Jonathan B. Velarde

• 6. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                    Maria Samper

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I thought about the time limit but these are very small data sources which need to be refreshed every 30 min and take around two or three minutes to refresh.

I’m just able to see the Background tasks for extracts and Background tasks for non extracts reports which show the server really busy first thing in the morning because there are a lot of subscriptions and refreshes. But they all work well and that doesn't explain why the refreshes are failing during the day. Do you think is a matter of space available?

Your screenshot looks different, I guess you have customized server views?

• 7. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                      Jonathan Velarde

Good Day!

Hi Mam..,

My datasource show in the background task was all extracted datasource that was published on my server.

This datasources can be managed on your admin tasks as shown on my sample screen shot below.

Why not try to extract your datasource and publish it on your server. Then manage it on your Admin Tasks and Scheduling priority.

Take note that my data was too big and my only problem encounter was on my time limit adjustment on tableau server configuration and space allocation since my SQL server was also on the same local server.

Hope you enlighten on this.

Regards,

Jonathan B. Velarde

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                        Maria Samper

Hi Jonathan,

These data sources which I am talking about are extracts published on the server - sorry not to specify this before.

Company's policies specify we must create extracts and publish all the data sources. Tableau should execute that schedules and there is no reason why is ignoring them - I have to insist that there is no warning about this. Please see screenshot of the main ignored schedule, it's not the only one though.

Thanks you for your help.

Maria.

• 9. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                          Oindrila B

Hi Maria,

What version of Tableau Server are you using?

Can you get a screenshot of the 'Background Tasks for Extracts' containing the failing job scheduled under the concerned schedule(failing schedule) and in that

1) Are you able to see red cross symbol on that job?If yes, what is the error prompt

2) Or Is the job getting skipped from it's scheduled time? i.e. the job is not coming in the queue at all for refresh

Thanks and Regards,

Oin

• 10. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                            Maria Samper

Hi Gosh,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Just to clarify:

• Version: 9.0.1
                            • Tableau and SQL Server are on different servers.
                            • Data extracts published on the server
                            • This Every 30 min schedule takes 2 or 3 minutes to refresh.
                            • Schedule priority 1.
                            • The schedule works if I run it manually.
                            • There is no permission issue because sometimes it executes itself automatically.
                            • I have this problem with other schedules but the main one is the Every 30 min (please see above picture) because I guess is the one that has more frequency.
                            • Tableau does NOT warn about the failing – which is the most annoying. It simply ignores the schedule. With ignore I mean that I can’t see any fail in the background tasks because it doesn't even attempt to refresh anything.

The only reason for this which I can think about is the Space Server. The schedules sometimes run themselves when I guess there is enough space for them. ?

• 11. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                              Oindrila B

With ignore I mean that I can’t see any fail in the background tasks because it doesn't even attempt to refresh anything.

My inference from the above statement is that your job is getting skipped from getting pushed into schedule. So, in short, not in queue and of course not getting updated.

I have faced this issue of skipping jobs with this same server version. In my case I have MySql server (Db and Tableau Server on different servers). I have this situation especially for one of my monthly schedule.

I got a response from support team on this(it calls for an upgrade!).

Please refer my following Forum post  :-

Tasks are not getting pushed for refresh in its scheduled time . Not seen in Pending status as well.Any specific reason for this?

https://community.tableau.com/message/460644#460644

Hope that helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Oin

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                                Maria Samper

I'm sure that will be the problem.

Thank you very much!!

• 13. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                                  Jonathan Velarde

Good Day!

Hi Ghosh..,

Do you mean that this is a bug on the version that need to upgrade on much updated release?

Well thanks for the info about this. I am currently using 8.3.4 and planning to upgrade in 9.2 version.

Hopefully this bug already fixed on the version we plan to upgrade.

Thanks and God Bless

Regards,

Jonathan B. Velarde

• 14. Re: Refresh schedules failing
                                    Oindrila B

Hi Jonathan,

Yes it's as mentioned in their comment:-

This is a known issue with the occurrence of "ObjectOptimisticLockingFailureExceptions" in the logs and has been fixed in later versions ofTableau Server starting at 9.2.1.

------
                                    -------
                                    The solution would be to upgrade Tableau Server to a later version that 9.2.1  (latest available is 9.2.4) .

God bless you too Jonathan!

Regards,

Oin

1 2 Previous Next