1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 5:37 AM by Daniel Vincent

Impact in performance of the report with increase in dataconnections in a workbook

Philip George

Hi All,

I have a workbook which use live connection to SQL server data source. Workbook has 8 dashboards and total 5 data connections. All the data connections are live connections.One dashboard use only one data connection.

I need to create new data connections in the workbook for creating some other dashboards.

I wanted to know if I increase the data connections in the workbook will it impact the performance of the dashboard in the workbook which use only one data connection.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Philip

• 1. Re: Impact in performance of the report with increase in dataconnections in a workbook
          Daniel Vincent

There is always a performance hit when you increase data sources/number of viz's.  But it's always dependent on how complicated the viz is and where the data is being pulled from.  In your case with live connections you are relying on how well your data source environment is (memory, OS, disk speed), database efficiency, and finally network bandwidth.

If you find that it slows down considerably or even noticeably then why not use Tableau extracts?  They are typically faster than a live connection especially if the database is not efficient.