5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 10:16 AM by Andrew Macey

Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?

Glauber Ribeiro

Has anyone successfully applied Google Analytics to Tableau Server 9.2?

I'm on 9.2.3, and what I used to do on 9.0.5 doesn't work anymore.

Thanks,

glauber

• 1. Re: Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?
          Shankar Narayanan SGS

Hi Glauber

Do you want to connect Tableau to Google analytics and consume data? If so you can look at the Web connector for Tableau.

Regards

Shankar

• 2. Re: Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?
            Glauber Ribeiro

No, I want to use G.A. to be able to tell what kinds of browsers my users used, where they came from, what are the peak access times, etc.

I.E. I want to feed data into G.A., not consume it.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?
              Shankar Narayanan SGS

Then you may need to add the code to the Tableau Login pages by customizing them.

Note: Customizing the pages is not a recommended solution and may impact those when you upgrade.

Regards

Shankar

• 4. Re: Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?
                Toby Erkson

Good question and I have no idea but I am interested in the topic

• 5. Re: Tableau Server 9.2 and Google Analytics: how?
                  Andrew Macey

My poor-man's solution for 9.1 is to query http_requests, and translate http_user_agent into a browser guess using something like http://www.useragentstring.com/index.php as a ref. Would it work for 9.2?

My query is like:

Select  ....

from http_requests h, sites s, system_users su, users u

where h.user_id = u.id

and u.system_user_id = su.id

and u.site_id=h.site_id

and h.site_id=s.id

Calculation is like:

if CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1' ) then 'IE7 or IE8/9/10/11 in compatability mode'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko') then 'IE11'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)') then 'IE9'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Firefox' ) then right ([User Agent], len([User Agent]) - find([User Agent],'Firefox')+1)

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Chrome' ) then left(right ([User Agent], len([User Agent]) -find([User Agent],'Chrome')+1), find(right ([User Agent], len([User Agent]) -find([User Agent],'Chrome')+1), ' '))

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'iPad' ) AND CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Safari' ) then 'iPad '+right ([User Agent], len([User Agent]) -find([User Agent],'Safari')+5)

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'compatible; MSIE 7.0' ) AND CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Windows NT 10' ) AND CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tablet PC' ) then 'Win10 Tablet IE7 or IE8/9/10/11 in compatability mode'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'compatible; MSIE 7.0' ) AND CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Windows NT 10' ) AND NOT CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tablet PC' ) then 'Win10 IE7 or IE8/9/10/11 in compatability mode'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tableau 91') then 'Tableau Desktop 9.1'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tableau 92') then 'Tableau Desktop 9.2'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tableau 9') then 'Tableau Desktop 9.x'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'WindowsPowerShell/4') then 'PowerShell 4'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'WindowsPowerShell') then 'PowerShell'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tabcmd/9.1') then 'tabcmd 9.1'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tabcmd') then 'tabcmd'

elseif CONTAINS([User Agent], 'Tableau Safari') then 'Tableau publish preview?'

else [User Agent]

end

2 of 2 people found this helpful