6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2016 9:52 AM by Frankie Liu

My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard

Paul Grente

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the enclosed twbx, about the way my filters act on the two sheets in my dashboard. I'm sure it's a very common and easy-to-solve problem, but I can't come up with a solution !

Sheet 1 is a board, and sheet 2 is a map. I have displayed each filter for my "Class" dimension, for both my board and my map, in my dashboard.

The thing is : although I ask my filter to act on every viz in my dashboard, I can't have the first one acting on the map, and the second one acting on the board...

Do you have any idea?

Any help will be really appreciated ! Thanks a lot !!

Paul

• 1. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
          Adam Crahen

Hi Paul-

The easy fix is to rebuild your map, but make sure the data1 source is primary.  Drag the class field to the filter first to ensure this source is primary.  Then rebuild the view.

I did this for you and replaced the sheet on your dashboard.

Now the class filter from your table will now affect your map (and you only need one filter now!)

2016-02-18_22-25-29.png

2016-02-18_22-25-53.png

9.2 workbook attached.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
            Paul Grente

Thank you very much Adam for your reply. It works!

Just to be sure, is there any other way to shift my primary/secondary data source, than rebuild the whole sheet from scrap ? It can be quite boring when the view is quite complicated.

• 3. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
              Paul Grente

Hi again Adam,

I managed to do what you told me, but the thing is : now instead of using some big or small dots on my latitude/longitude map, i want to draw some polygons to draw the exact shape of my district (using polygon, ET_ID on "details", and ET_ORDER on "path")... It looks like I can't draw a polygon map based on a secondary source (see the picture)

CaptureTableau.JPG

Do you have any idea how I can draw a polygon map, with the color of my polygon depending on my "Class" variable, and be able to add a "Class" filter that would both act on my map and my sheet ?

Please see the enclosed twbx.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

• 4. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
                Adam Crahen

Hi Paul-

There is no way to switch the primary data source, it is just which field you bring in first.

Please vote for this idea, I agree this can be frustrating.

Ability to switch primary and secondary data sources

• 5. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
                  Adam Crahen

Hi Paul-

Regarding the polygon map, yes then it needs to be the primary data source.

Are you going to make that class filter a single value option?  Right now, even if you change the polygon source to be primary, you cannot color on class because there is a one to many relationship.

2016-02-19_08-35-43.png

There are multiple classes in each polygon so the attribute is returned.  You can only assign colors to individual class when it is the only thing in your view.

2016-02-19_08-37-13.png

If you are going to make it a single value option, we might be able to figure out a parameter solution to filter across the data sources.

• 6. Re: My filters doesn't act on every sheets in my Dashboard
                    Frankie Liu

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your question. I looked at your workbook and what's tricky is that you're trying to filter using Class. Class doesn't exist in the, polygones_communes data source. One solution is to do a join using INSEE-Code and Name - Scinder 1. To do that I merged the two data sources into a single excel file.

This allows you to create a single "Class" filter on your dashboard and filter both sheets. You do have to join however. I've attached a solution twbx for you so you can see how I addressed your problem.

Last year at TC we demo'd a new feature that allows you to filter across multiple data sources without having to join. If Class in both data sources, this feature would also work for you. We're still working on this feature but I'll be sure to let you know when it's available.

Best

Frankie