1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 1:09 PM by William Weiss

Google Sheets WDC Error

Julian Hicks

Hi guys, I'm getting the following error when using the Google Sheets WDC:

Has anyone else encountered this "unknown data typenull" issue? If so, have you found a workaround?

• 1. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
          Bora Beran

I have forwarded your question to the product manager for WDC team. He will be responding shortly.

• 2. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
            Brendan Lee

Hey Julian,

I have seen this error before and it had to do with some unexpected data types.  The WDC Google Sheets Sample is intended to be used as sample code for developers, so it doesn't necessarily cover every use case.

In the scenario I dealt with, there was a row in my spreadsheet that was set to the default data type of 'Plain Text'.   And when numbers were entered in this row, the web data connector failed to process this correctly.  My guess is there is a similar issue occurring here. 

The troubleshooting steps that worked for me were:

• Try and find the offending rows/columns/cells that are causing the error.
            • Set these (or you could just set all) default data type to be 'Automatic'.

The default data type is set on rows, columns, or cells using the '123' dropdown in the toolbar (left third of the toolbar).

Let me know if that helps!

-Brendan

• 3. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
              Julian Hicks

Hi Brendan,

I tried your solution - unfortunately it did not work. I tried a few options, including setting each column independently and setting everything to automatic. The same error kept cropping up.

I'm not certain why this is, but it may be because the data is coming into the sheet in inconsistent formatting. The sheet itself is being generated from a form which I don't own, so that may be part of the problem.

I unfortunately do not have the coding knowledge to look into re-building the WDC, but if there's a debugged version I'm happy to test it.

Thanks,

Julian

• 4. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                Brendan Lee

Hey Julian,

Is there any way you'd be able to share some sort of faked-data version of a spreadsheet you are using that duplicates the problem? I am having trouble reproducing the issue on my end with the old spreadsheet that I once saw this in. 

I have a hunch on how to fix the issue but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting it to show up again. 

-Brendan

• 5. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                  Brendan Lee

Scratch that, I was able to duplicate the issue.  I have a version ready for you to test.  Could you try and access the same sheet using this URL for your web data connector instead of the old version? http://lbrendanl.github.io/webdataconnector/Examples/GoogleSheetsConnector.html

With that fix, the worksheet that was previously failing for me with the same error is now working.  I am hoping it also fixes your issues. Let me know!

-Brendan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                    Julian Hicks

Brendan,

This works perfectly! Thank you so much for the help. I'm extremely grateful.

- Julian

• 7. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                      Julian Hicks

Hey Brendan, did you take down the WDC from your personal github? I'm getting a 404 error now. I can download the code or something if you'd rather not host it.

Thanks,

Julian

• 8. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                        Brendan Lee

Oops sorry about that, that was a mistake, it's back up now.

Soon we will be pulling that fix into the main development branch, but I did not mean to take down my personal fork.  I'll update this thread once the fix has made it to the main branch.

• 9. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                          Brendan Lee

The main hosted sample now has the fix: Google Spreadsheet Web Data Connector

I won't be changing my personal fork anytime soon, but the main version will be more stable in the long run. 

• 10. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                            William Weiss

I am no longer able to connect to Google Sheets that I have connected to before, just yesterday.  The message I get is this:

The version of Tableau that you are using cannot use the web data connector that you are trying to access. The connector requires at least version '1.1.1' of the web data connector API.

• 11. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                              William Weiss

I am no longer able to connect to Google Sheets that I have connected to before, just yesterday.  The message I get is this:

The version of Tableau that you are using cannot use the web data connector that you are trying to access. The connector requires at least version '1.1.1' of the web data connector API.

• 12. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                                Brendan Lee

Hey William,

I am guessing that you are using one of the dev samples on GitHub?  This should now be fixed, my apologies for the trouble.  Please let me know if you are still seeing any issues.

-Brendan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                                  William Weiss

It is fixed now.  Thank you.  I was using this one: Google Spreadsheet Web Data Connector

If you developed this, I can't thank you enough. I has been a godsend, given my organization's use of Google Docs.

• 14. Re: Google Sheets WDC Error
                                    Brendan Lee

Hey William,

I am very glad to hear that you are finding it useful!

Quick follow up.  What version of Tableau Desktop are you using? Soon we will be making a change to our GitHub repo that will result in the same error you just saw.  However, we have added functionality in Tableau Desktop that fixes this error.  That fix went into versions 9.1.6 and 9.2.4. 

I just wanted to verify that you were in fact using a version earlier that one of these.  In the future you will need to upgrade to continue using the hosted Google Sheets connector on our GH page (of course, you could always use your own version of that connector as well, as it's open sourced).

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next