8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2016 6:53 AM by Collin Bath

In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions

Collin Bath

I am looking to show the top 5 customers in a text table based on the summation of two measures and then show the rest as Other. This works fine when looking at data across the whole data source. However when I attempt to use the same set on a workbook that is filtered by other dimensions I get incorrect results. I think what it is doing is still applying the set to the overall dataset within the data source. The screen shots below illustrates what is happening.

In the data below you can see that Ciena is a higher value of 'Gap + Bill' than Cisco.

Yet in my workbook when I show the data with the In/Out of the set you see that Cienna is out of the set, (part of others) and Cisco is in the set.

I assume it is because the set is on the overall data so how do I get round this issue and apply my set to the data in the table partition?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have enclosed the packaged workbook.

Regards

Collin

• 1. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
          Shinichiro Murakami

Collin

You need to change filter items to "Context Filter" to make set effective even after filtering.

it turns grey color after changed to context.

Thanks,

Shin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
            Collin Bath

Shin,

Thank you for the quick response. I believe this has solved my issue although I do have problems when I publish the data source to Tableau online and then replace my file data source with my on-line data source. For some very strange reason I get two Others dimensions when the same data and workbook is published to Tableau on-line. What is actually happening is that the Cisco customer is being showed separately as Others as well as the correct Others category. See screen shots below:

Correct data having applied your fix:

Incorrect data having switched to the on-line data source. Highlighted is actually Cisco.

I appreciate this is probably a totally different issue but any thoughts or experience in this area?

One additional question - I assume that I need to add the context filter to each dimension I have in my filter pane is this correct?

Regards

Collin

• 3. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
              Shinichiro Murakami

One additional question - I assume that I need to add the context filter to each dimension I have in my filter pane is this correct?

==> Correct.

Are you grouping "Customer" ? if so you may need re-grouping (Edit Grouping) when you got  new Customer?

But difficult to say without seeing the data.

Thanks,

Shin

• 4. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
                Collin Bath

Hi Shin,

Not sure whether this is me missing something or whether I need to log a case with Tableau but Tableau desktop is showing me different data than Tableau on-line for my in/out values even when both are connected to the same on-line data source. My latest workbook which is published to Tableau on-line shows the correct data which is good news as this is what the users are
                using. E.g.

NOTE - 1 Others Customer

Yet when I view the same workbook through Tableau desktop again connected to the same on-line data source I see:

If you look at the numbers above the first record Others is actually JUNIPER. I am not using tableau groups but I am using multiple calculations to derive my Customer dimension as below:

Customer calc.:

IF [Top 5 Customers byBill + Gap QTD] THEN

[Customer Cat]

ELSE

"Others"

END

Customer Cat calc:

IF [Cust Group Key] = "Overall Result" THEN

"Total
                Oclaro"

ELSEIF ISNULL([Cust Group Key]) THEN

""

ELSEIF [Cust Group Key] = "#" THEN

"NOT MAPPED IN
                ERP"

ELSE

[Cust Group Key]

END

Cust Group Key above is the raw dimension from the data source.

Any ideas on where I can look next?

Do I need to refresh my context in a different way or is this just refreshed as part of rerunning and populating the extract?

Regards

Collin

• 5. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
                  Shinichiro Murakami

I suspect the contents of calculation of [Top 5 Customers byBill + Gap QTD]

If you could share the packaged workbook, it's much easier to address, but may be it's difficult?

Thanks,

Shin

• 6. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
                    Collin Bath

Shin,

My apologies for such a very delayed response the Tableau project got put on hold but is now back in progress. I still have the same issue and I would really appreciate it if you could assist. I have enclosed the packaged workbook where you will see 2 Others categories. If you replace the data source with the 2nd data source in the workbook you will see that it correctly shows just one Others category. The two data sources should be the same data the only difference being that one is sourced from a  local file and the other the same data published to Tableau online.

If you look at the table data the top row showing Others at $3.9M is actually customer Cisco. You will see this correctly when switching between the two data sources. Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards

Collin

• 7. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
                      Shinichiro Murakami

Hi Collin

It sounds good.  the Tableau project got put on hold but is now back in progress.

By the way, the workbook cannot connect to online server and I cannot test.

Will keep trying to analyze this error first....

Anyways, sometimes online and desktop shows some difference just in general..

Thanks,

Shin

• 8. Re: In/Out Values for a set not working based on filtered Dimensions
                        Collin Bath

Shin,

I actually get the same error if I try to extract from the on-line data source. I can extract the local data source which I guess makes sense. Problem is the issue lies with the online data. I had hoped saving as a packaged workbook would provide both datasets encapsulated in the same workbook.

Regards

Collin