3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2016 10:52 AM by Toby Erkson

metadata report

Lakshminarasimhan Santhanam

We are using tableau 9.2 and we want to develop a report from the postgres metadata tables to display the below information

1) Report name

2) presentation column names used inside the report(The column names shown to users)

3) corresponding table.column name or formula which is used to display this column

4) usage details- how many users have accessed this report.

Please let me know if anyone has developed this type of report. what are the table names inside the postgres SQL we must use to develop this report.

• 1. Re: metadata report

For 1) Report Name and 4) Usage Details, that information is already available in the built-in Traffic to Views admin view. I'd suggest checking out that view first to see if it meets your needs before doing redundant work.

If you do end up needing access to this information directly, I'm thinking you would need to join the views and views_stats tables together, as the views_stats table has the nviews field to tell you how often it has been accessed, and the views table has the name of the view. Caveat: I have not tested this join myself.

For 2) column names presented to the user - you'll want the views table in postgres (this requires readonly user access). The field you are looking for is called fields. Note that this only shows fields used in views, and not dashboards.

2016-06-01_8-54-57.png

For 3) corresponding table/column name - I'm uncertain how you could go about pulling this information out of postgres. I'm not finding a simple way to tie the fields field from the views table back to the underlying data source, which is what you would need to do. If you are able to find a way to do this, please let me know.

• 2. Re: metadata report
            Toby Erkson

Lakshminarasimhan Santhanam wrote:

1) Report name

4) usage details- how many users have accessed this report.

Who has seen this view?  Workbook and View hits report-v2.

• 3. Re: metadata report
              Toby Erkson

Lakshminarasimhan Santhanam wrote:

1) Report name

2) presentation column names used inside the report(The column names shown to users)

3) corresponding table.column name or formula which is used to display this column

This may work:  What's in your workbooks? The TWB Auditor v2.0

It's not actively supported which is why it may not work.