3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 7:56 PM by Jaideep Rokade

How to use table calculation field in parameter 'Add from field'?

Jaideep Rokade

Hello,

I have created calculated field using running total of Avg budget qty.

I want to use the output of that field in Parameter, but Parameter is not showing any calculated field in which I used table calculation.

Is table calculation field is not available in parameter "Add from field'???

Tableau.png

Regards

Jaideep

• 1. Re: How to use table calculation field in parameter 'Add from field'?
          Jaideep Rokade

kettan

Is table calculation field is not available in parameter "Add from field'???

• 2. Re: How to use table calculation field in parameter 'Add from field'?
            Carl Slifer

Howdy Jaideep,

You cannot add Table Calculations from the 'add from field' option when using Parameters. I would venture that this is because Table calculations are not global (they apply only to one worksheet at a time) and parameters are Global. For instance, When you add from a field, there is a finite number of options if Tableau looks at the raw data set or by looking at row based calculations. Table Calculations however take entirely different values based on what dimensions you have in the view and also what scope and direction you've assigned these. So while there may not be a true infinite number of results from a Table Calculation, it seems nigh impossible for Tableau to predict all of these.

There is a little trick to get around this. Once you have your Table Calculation perfected, etc. Highlight the column in your view and press Ctrl+C, then open another worksheet and use Ctrl+V, this literally will copy and paste the data from the view. Now that this is a new data set, the table calc is no longer a table calc but rather a static value and there is only a finite number of options. Hence you can use the parameter and add from field.  However parameters are not dynamic and this is definitely a screwy way of getting values so this will not work on data sets that are constantly being updated.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to use table calculation field in parameter 'Add from field'?
              Jaideep Rokade

Thank you Carl for valuable information.

Regards

Jaideep