10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 8:45 AM by Toby Erkson

Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?

Lazy Rambler

If you have seen the news, Tableau's stock just crashed 50%.

Is this something to be worried about? What are your guys opinion on this?

• 1. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
          Dustin Wyers

Are you asking because you are invested in the stock? Or from a company perspective?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
            Lazy Rambler

From a Company's perspective. And what this means to Tableau in the long term.

• 3. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
              Dustin Wyers

To me the company is still strong. They are growing customers, licenses, and influence. From the things I've read the stock issues may just be accounting uncertainties, and the market is reacting based on how volatile everything is currently.

What this means for Tableau in the long run is uncertain, but knowing how passionate they are about their tool and its development, I think the stock will bounce back as they still are leaders in the space, so their tool will continue to evolve as they add new functionality, partnerships, etc..

Hoping others chime in here too, but that is my feelings at the moment.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                Ed Perkins

At my place, there is noise that Cognos is preparing to crush Tableau. My thinking is yeah, like you crushed Quicken with Money...the good news is you can make money developing in Tableau, the bad news is that the market is vertical.

Tableau could get crushed by something better...but I haven't seen the better thing yet.

More worrisome is the number of analysts that seem to want nothing but CSV exports from any platform so they can pretty it up in Excel. If spending decisions are made so everybody can have Excel data, Tableau won't be the number 1 choice.

• 5. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                  Toby Erkson

Ed Perkins wrote:

At my place, there is noise that Cognos is preparing to crush Tableau...

Psh!  Sales and Marketing talk.

• 6. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                    Daniel Vincent

In my opinion...

The stock was too high to maintain at the levels they were seeing.  It was only a matter of time before it would come crashing down the second it missed a mark.  What you're seeing is the sell off from worried investors after the huge miss of licensing revenue.

Typically this stock is seen at the 40-60 (or lower) range and I've always maintained that Tableau, as long as it remains industry leader, is a mid 60 range stock.  Like it's been pointed out, there is no one poised to knock off Tableau from the top or rather no one we've seen to date.  Until that happens there should be no worries from a company perspective.

If anything...now or in the coming weeks is the time to buy some stock.

• 7. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                      Tableau kumar

I am kindly requesting you, go through the following article ( In describes about Product strength, number of users, time to stay for long time in the market.)

Gartner Positions Tableau as a Leader in Magic Quadrant for BI and Analytics Platforms - Yahoo Finance

Tableau - BI and Analytics Platforms - Gartner Peer Insights

Day to day Customer count is  (number of Tableau Users are)  increasing since continuous research & product development so it turns in to growth the revenues of Tableau Company.

It is my candeed opinion, TABLEAU will lead in BI Analytics Landscape for next several years........................

Best Regards

Kumar

• 8. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                        Rody Zakovich

Here is my thought on it.

Tableau is a market leader in Self Service Visual Analytics. There is no other product, that I can see, taking that spot from them anytime soon.

Yes, there is more competition in the space, and existing players are making strides, but no other product is even close to where Tableau is now, let alone where it will be come V10.

Some people think that Tableau's stock is a reflection of the Company or the Product, or that dropping stock market prices means Tableau is done. I have no idea where people get this idea and believe it is completely ludicrous.

There is a reason that the Tableau Community is so strong. It is because WE, the Customers, LOVE Tableau. WE know that it is the best tool on the market. And WE know how much Tableau LOVES Tableau. They are constantly putting revenue back into R&D. They are always watching the ideas section, getting our feedback, and putting everything they have into making the product better. Tableau, unlike a lot of companies, actually cares about us. They want us to have a better experience with Tableau and they want us to see and understand our data faster. They want to give us every tool we need to tell our Data Stories. This is apparent in everything Tableau does.

Every company needs (And wants) to make money. But what separates Tableau from the rest is the fact that their FIRST GOAL is not to make money. No, their first goal is to change the world one datum and pixel at a time. Making money is simply the reward they get from building an incredible product and being 100% dedicated to their customers.

In my opinion, when Tableau says

They mean every single word of it.

I am a Tableau Customer, and I LOVE Tableau. I put 100% of my faith in them, and truly believe that I will be using Tableau for the rest of my career.

So, should you be worried that Tableau's stock has dropped? NOT EVEN IN THE SLIGHTEST!

Thank you Tableau for all that you do for us!

Rody Zakovich

Simon Runc I think we share similar views on the topic. Your thoughts?

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                          Simon Runc

hi Rody,

Yes in agreement there. I'm no expert on market valuations, but I imagine the amount they are investing in R&D (from memory of the 'key note' speech at TC15 they mentioned they had hired hundred+ PHD level R&D staff) would definitely take a 'short-term' hit on the profitability (and thus market valuation)...but taking the long term view (which almost no companies do) they will be (and are) in a very healthy place, IMHO. and by the time others are forced to take a similar approach Tableau will be 'out-of-sight'.

...Finding the Cognos-Tableau-crush comments amusing - not used it for several years, but to get even close you'd need to change so much you couldn't really call it Cognos anymore!!!

Other companies that re-invest nearly all their profit/cash, and put the customer at the heart of everything they do, such as Google & Amazon seem to be doing OK!

Every company needs (And wants) to make money. But what separates Tableau from the rest is the fact that their FIRST GOAL is not to make money. No, their first goal is to change the world one datum and pixel at a time. Making money is simply the reward they get from building an incredible product and being 100% dedicated to their customers.

...this probably isn't completely true...but I like to think it is too! ....but the sentiment is accurate, IMHO. Focus on your customers and making money will be the nice side-affect!

• 10. Re: Should peoplebe worried about Tableau's stock crash ?
                            Toby Erkson

The price dropped but that doesn't mean it "crashed" i.e. devalued.

When stocks split their value may drop.  So if you have 10 shares of Tableau valued at $10/share (10 * $10 = $100) and it splits, you would now have 20 shares of stock valued at $5/share (20 * $5 = $100).  No money is lost   Back in its heyday Intel did this several times when I was an employee.  It's good news.

Man I'm glad I no longer work there!

1 of 2 people found this helpful