1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2016 4:05 PM by Chris McClellan

Need to use two values together from separate parameters in filter

Ajai Gupta

Hi,

I have an Year Parameter containing years as 2010, 2011...  and a Month Parameter containing months with display as Jan, Feb...and value as 01, 02... In my CUBE data source, I have a field as Year_Month which holds values as 201001, 201002.....201501, 201502, 201503... What I need is to apply a filter as WHERE Year_Month <= 'Year Parameter Selected Value'  + 'Month Parameter Selected Value'.

I tried the formula section of filter but that is not allowing me to concatenate the two parametric values. It only allows to use simple one parametric value as Year_Month <= [Year Parameter Selected Value].

I tried with creating a calculated field as :

IF [Year_Month] <= [Year Parameter]+[Month Parameter]

THEN 'SHOW' ELSE 'HIDE' END

but this throws an error as Year_Month not a valid field(Year_Month is inside [Date] hierarchy in Dimension section of CUBE). I even tried creating a calculated member under Measure section of the CUBE and defined it as:

[Date].[Year_Month].CurrentMember.MemberValue but this too doesn't returns me any luck and throw huge set of errors. Additionally I noticed that the members can't be utilised to filter the data.

I'm very new to Tableau so might be going in a wrong way. Please help me out by your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,

Ajai