11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2018 7:10 AM by joris vanagtmaal

Refresh Google Sheets WDC data source on Tableau Server

Wouter Cuypers

Short story: I have been experimenting with the Google Sheets connector from the Web Data Connector SDK. It works as a data source in Tableau Desktop. I now want to refresh this data source on Tableau Server which works once and then fails on subsequent refresh attempts.

Slightly longer story. I adapted the SDK example for the Google Sheets connector so that the call back would redirect to our Tableau Server and would be using our Google API key. Then I imported this WDC into Tableau Server using tabadmin.

Next I used this imported WDC in Tableau Desktop to create a data source based on a public Google Sheets document (anyone with the link can view it). This works perfectly and refreshes.

After finishing my dashboard I published it to Tableau Server, embedding my password and configuring the Google Sheets WDC to refresh hourly. When I then monitor the extracts, it works *once* and then fails on subsequent refreshes. This is the reported error:

com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.DataSourceException: The table "[TableauTemp].[webdata-direct.17m4pdh0br5y5e1559wpc0z31su7]" does not exist. Unable to connect to the server "localhost". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Is there anyone else experiencing this or has achieved Google Sheets refreshes in Tableau Server? Thanks in advance!