12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2017 10:04 AM by Béatrice LORIOT

Salesforce and Tableau

Martin Sleeman

Hi folks,

We're always looking toward improving our Tableau products, and I'm especially interested in how we can improve our connections to Salesforce.com.  So if you have some time I'd very much appreciate it if you could answer some of these questions, offer your own feature suggestions below, or reach out to me directly.

Question on how Salesforce and Tableau are used together:

• Are you planning on adopting Salesforce Lightning in the next year?  In the near future? Never?
      • Do you currently use Salesforce’s mobile applications like Salesforce1?
      • Do you ever embed Tableau visualizations in Salesforce?  (e.g. do you use Salesforce Canvas Adapter for Tableau (aka Sparkler))
      • Would you find it more valuable to
        • A) have Tableau Visualizations available in your mobile salesforce applications OR
        • B) Have the ability to reduce the time needed to extract Salesforce data into Tableau
      • Do you have a reason to use a LIVE request or are extracts meeting your needs?  Please describe.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Thanks

-Martin

Product Manager, Tableau

msleeman@tableau.com

• 1. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Sharing with my followers to help raise back up for visibility.

• 2. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
            Martin Sleeman

Thanks Patrick,  I'm definitely still looking for some great feedback on how we can make Salesforce much more useful!

• 3. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
              Scott Abboud

Martin - we are in the exploratory phase of looking at embedding tableau visualizations into Salesforce.  And for this we are looking at the Salesforce canvas adapter.

I would really like to see the speed increased for extracts from Salesforce into tableau.

Currently the extracts meet our business process needs, but the extracts can be painfully slow depending on which tables we are accessing in salesforce.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                Martin Sleeman

Thanks Patrick for the mention, it brought this thread to my attention again.

Scott, you are on the right track using the Canvas Adapter.  That's a great way to embed Tableau vizzes into Salesforce.  If it doesn't work for you or if you have a mobile scenario then you can also look at Sparkler (aka our Salesforce Canvas Adapter for Tableau) here.

We know that the length of time needed for Salesforce extracts can be excruciatingly long.  We're working on possible solutions for this in future versions of Tableau and if you have particular concerns or issues I'd love to hear about them here.  Or via a direct message.

Thanks

-Martin Sleeman

Product Manager

Tableau

• 6. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                  Scott Abboud

Martin - have you heard whether people are having more success with Canvas vs. Sparkler?

Thanks, Scott

• 7. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                    Steve Mekata

Old thread but my 2c, using it for a Support organization.

• Are you planning on adopting Salesforce Lightning in the next year?  In the near future? Never?

We are starting to look at it but expect it to be about a year out given the Service Cloud Lightning GA release is (IIRC) currently targeted for Spring 17.

We do plan to move. Just a matter of when.

• Do you currently use Salesforce’s mobile applications like Salesforce1?

Far more on the management side than the agent side.

• Do you ever embed Tableau visualizations in Salesforce?  (e.g. do you use Salesforce Canvas Adapter for Tableau (aka Sparkler))

Nope. See the value but can't do at this time because of the licensing model. Considering other solutions to surface info in salesforce.

• Would you find it more valuable to
                      • A) have Tableau Visualizations available in your mobile salesforce applications OR
                      • B) Have the ability to reduce the time needed to extract Salesforce data into Tableau

B. This is painful. I imagine anyone using Salesforce suffers from (b) but only a smallish subset suffers from lack of (a), though (a) would be a big deal for that subset.

I suspect the main issue is that there seems to be no way to pre-filter the data - it has to pull all rows from all tables into the extract, and only after that can you throw away the data you don't need. So, if you're only looking at last year's data, you pull all data into the extract and then apply a data source filter to discard everything over a year old.

There's an idea filed about this (and I did vote it up!): https://community.tableau.com/ideas/5948

• Do you have a reason to use a LIVE request or are extracts meeting your needs?  Please describe.

LIVE would be fantastic for a small subset of important uses. Like, anomaly detection against currently open support cases.

Extracts are fine for just about everything else - the vast majority of situations where I think live would just be less performant for minimal value.

To address this and the previous question today, we combine two methods:

1) Extracts for most reporting. Reports "over time" - trending, KPIs, etc. Refreshing either daily or weekly. Perhaps hourly here or there.

2) Scripts that pull small sets of frequently updated data for near-live reporting. Python scripts that query small sets of data from SFDC via SOQL, and then use the Extract API to create data sources and upload them to Tableau Online at, say, a 10 minute interval (via cron). For example, pulling all currently open cases, where stale data = bad data.

• 8. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                      Martin Sleeman

Thanks Steve for your very useful input!   I'll take this into consideration for our next round of planning.

If you are around at Tableau Conference in Austin next week I'd be happy to chat more about your feedback.

• 9. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                        Béatrice LORIOT

Hey Martin,

Thanks for asking !

My answers are NO to all except  "Have the ability to reduce the time needed to extract Salesforce data into Tableau" : Definitely a big YES.

We would like to filter before extracting. Exactly as we in SF. Why extract all data when  just looking at a certain creation date, or area, etc.

Thanks !

KR

Béa

• 10. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                          Martin Sleeman

Thanks for the answer Beatrice!  We are definitely looking at how we can help achieve this in future Tableau products.  We'll keep you updated.

-Martin

• 11. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                            Béatrice LORIOT

Great !  Thanks !

Is there a « Tableau using Salesforce connector » user group ? I’d like to chat with users and sharing best practices.

Thanks and have a great week end,

De : Martin Sleeman 

Envoyé : vendredi 27 janvier 2017 18:25

À : Béatrice LORIOT <loriotbeatrice@gmail.com>

Objet : Re:  - Salesforce and Tableau

<https://community.tableau.com/?et=watches.email.thread> Tableau Community

Salesforce and Tableau

reply from Martin Sleeman <https://community.tableau.com/people/martin.sleeman.0?et=watches.email.thread>  in Forums - View the full discussion <https://community.tableau.com/message/573565?et=watches.email.thread#573565>

• 12. Re: Salesforce and Tableau
                              Béatrice LORIOT

Thanks again,

One question:

All dimensions and measures names are showing in French (my language) but data is in English.

For lead object, field is correctly showing as "Statut du lead" but each status is showing in English. 

Example :

Statut du leads

Accepted

Nurtured

Rejected

Will I have to change aliases and rename every status in French... ?

Kind regards

Béa