6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2016 7:44 AM by Gopi Chand

Creating an extract

Sudha Appireddy

Hello,

While I am creating an extract it should ask to save the extract file in somewhere, but it's not populating it for me and saving directly somewhere else.I do not understand how to use the saved extract in new workbook.

please help me.

• 1. Re: Creating an extract
          Shawn Wallwork

Is your workbook packaged (twbx) or unpackaged (twb)?

EDIT: If it's packaged then T knows where to save the extract so it doesn't ask. A packaged workbook is really just a zip file with a different extension. Inside this zip T creates a folder structure.

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating an extract
            Venu Babu Kolasani

Sudha,

Table Sometimes create extracts in Temporary folders "%Temp%" in Windows Search. However you can follow the following steps to create extract where your you want.

1. If you have a .twbx file, convert the .twbx file to a .twb file using one of the following methods:In Tableau Desktop, open the .twb file, and then select Data > <data source name> > Extract > Remove.
              • In Tableau Desktop, open the packaged workbook (.twbx file), and then select File > Save As. Under Save as type, select Tableau Workbook (*.twb).
              • In Windows Explorer, right-click the .twbx file, and then select Unpackage.
            2. In Tableau Desktop, open the .twb file, and then select Data > <data source name> > Extract > Remove.
            3. Select Just remove the extract, and then click OK.
            4. Select  Data > <data source name> > Extract Data, and then click Extract.
            5. Select the desired location, and then click Save.

Hope the above steps helps you!!

It would be great if you could mark this as helpful if you like the solution.

Thanks,

Venu

• 3. Re: Creating an extract
              Gopi Chand

Dear Sudha,

Just felt to let you know something and please do not take it wrong.

I frequently observing your questions and responses for them.

Kindly respond back to the helpers who investing time to help you out with your queries whether you got what you are looking or still need something. This is very essential to respond the same person again to YOUR later questions.

Hope you take positively!!

Have a great day

Note: Try to mark as Correct Answer or Helpful Answer for your questions so that others can understand easily before they invest time.

• 4. Re: Creating an extract
                Venu Babu Kolasani

Well said Gopi Chand, it makes perfect sense!!

• 5. Re: Creating an extract
                  Sudha Appireddy

Thanks alot Gopi for your suggestion!

• 6. Re: Creating an extract
                    Gopi Chand

You welcome!!!