2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2016 2:18 AM by Mark Fraser

Hey guys.. i am new to this community and need help

Charles Muthaka

I have this request from a client.I am trying to create a report showing some really important test scores.  Something's wrong, though the test scores for the top performing kids are WAY too high.  Take a look:

https://tableau.schoolzilla.org/t/Demo/views/TroubleshootingWorkbook-Round1/TopPerformingStudents#1

I think there must be an error in thedata model, can you please look into this?  The client expects this by tomorrow, so I need to get my report fixed ASAP. 

Is there anybody who can help me fix this?

charlo

• 1. Re: Hey guys.. i am new to this community and need help
          Mark Fraser

Hi Charles

Something's wrong, though  the test scores for the top performing kids are WAY too high.  Take a look:

I know what is wrong, and good news, its simple to fix

What is wrong/ what is happening...

Graph - Williams has a score of 89

Raw Data - There are 2 pupils called Williams, their individual scores are 44 and 45

Tableau doesn't know they are 2 people so it sees Williams and aggregates the scores together > 44 + 45 = 89

How to fix it...

Display the first name to the right of surname, this will split the unique records

Or if you put first name on the Detail and/or color shelf, you'll get dividers in each applicable row

Color, we can see Helen's sales are different colour from the other 2

Detail

Its not so obvious but there are dividers

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hey guys.. i am new to this community and need help
            Mark Fraser

Just noticed - some students could potentially have the same first & last names, so you should use StudentId as its unique for each student, put that on the far left (row).

It will solve the aggregation (too high score) problem.

If you right click, you can hide it afterwards, untick Show Header.

Cheers

Mark

1 of 1 people found this helpful