12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 5:19 PM by Rick Kunkel

Tableau Server Backup file size

Su ve

Hi,

Recently I have taken a backup on the tableau Server. Backup file is of size 147 MB. But the "Tableau Server" folder in the following location "C:\Program Data\Tableau\" is about 2.1 GB. I have found in the Tableau article that Backup file size will be 20% more than the that Tableau Server folder size. My doubt is: Did I get the full backup of Tableau Data? If not how to take the full backup?

While taking the backup I have used the Shared folder on the network in my domain. Does this effect the Backup file size?

Are there different types of Backups like incremental backups, full backups in tableau?

Tableau Article I referred to: Troubleshooting Server Backup and Restores | Tableau Software (look for Common Cause #2: Disk Space)

Please help me out of this guys.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
          Jeff Strauss

As far as I know, there's only one type of "tabadmin backup".  My thought is that it's only backing up the data (extracts and repository) and not the actual software itself.  Do you have a place where you can safely run a tabadmin restore to verify that you still have all the proper content?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
            Su ve

Thanks for the Reply Jeff.

Is there any way to check the size of all data extracts and repository of tableau on disk?

And unfortunately, I don't have a place to restore and test the backup file.

Usually if we don't get errors or warnings while taking backup, can we take it for granted that backup is successful or do we need check any log files for errors?

Thanks,

Su Ve

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
              Jeff Strauss

I just looked at our backup, it's 35 gig, and when I do a size on the G:\Tableau directory on one of my cluster nodes, it's 164 gig.  And I know that our backup has everything because I have restored it to our test environment before.  The Tableau folder holds a lot of other stuff such as the software itself and temp file directories.  Something you can try is open the tsbak file with winzip or 7zip and it will show you the folder structure of what it backed up along with the files which is mostly the PG repository and extracts.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                Su ve

Thanks for sharing the details. Those are really helpful.

So when you restore the prod tableau server data on test environment does the data on test environment is automatically cleared off?

I have the similar scenario here where, I have data on Test environment but when I restore it with Prod Backup I want test environment data(extracts, workbooks and users) to be cleared off. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Su Ve

• 5. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                  Jeff Strauss

yes, the restore replaces all content.

• 6. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                    Su ve

And also can you share me what are all the folders present in that backup file after unzipping it?

I am able to see only 1 folder and 3 files in that backup file. Those are: Data Engine folder, backup.sql, config.yml, manifest.yml . I don't see any workbooks in that.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Su Ve

• 7. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                      Jeff Strauss

here's what I see.  generally the workbooks are stored as part of workgroup.pg_dump, do you not see this one?

• 8. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                        Su ve

Here is the screenshot of the backup files.  I don't see any workgroup.pg_dump file in that. My Tableau Server is on 8.0.3 version.

Inline image 1

What can I do now?

• 9. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                          Jeff Strauss

ah, I'm on 9.0.5, the underlying architecture has changed, and it's possible that your backup stores the workbooks somewhere else.  you can ask support.

and why are you still on 8.0.3?

• 10. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                            Su ve

This whole work for upgrading to 9.2. But as an precautionary measure before upgrading Prod server, my lead wants me to do the 9.2 (from 8.0.3) upgrade on test environment with restoring of all Prod data to test environment.

How can we contact Tableau support apart from mailing them (they didn't reply me back for 1 month)?

Thanks,

Su Ve

• 11. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                              Dan Becker

Hi Su! I'm sorry you didn't get a response - that's not right! We aim to provide an initial response to questions within 24 hours (except on the weekend). I looked in our system for an email from you, but searching for "Su Ve" didn't get any hits. (This may be due to limitations of our support system's search capabilities, but it could also be that the email didn't reach our system.) Please do contact us again so we can assist!

If you have access to the Customer Portal, a support case can be opened from http://customer.tableau.com. That's the best option, since the case will already be linked to your contact information.

If you do not have access to the portal, you can also open a support case via http://www.tableau.com/support/request.

Using either of the web forms is generally better than using email.

More information on using Tableau Technical Support is available at http://www.tableau.com/technical-support-services.

As a bonus link, since you are planning a server upgrade, check out our Server Upgrade Page.

• 12. Re: Tableau Server Backup file size
                                Rick Kunkel

If I recall, we stored EVERYTHING in the backup.sql file prior to some version, at which point we switched to backup.sql being small, and workgroup.pg_dump being the majority of it.  Compare the files you see to the ones that Jeff Strauss sent a screen shot of.  I'd wager that your backup.sql file is monstrous, whereas his is only 886 bytes.