7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 12:34 PM by Toby Erkson

Upgrade Question

Mustafa Rassiwala

How quickly does the community adopt latest versions of Tableau? The reason I ask, as a developer If I build some Web Data Connectors as a consulting project, I will have limited adoption if users are not on Tableau 9.1 since thats when Wed Data Connectors was introduced. Can I expect vast majority of users to have migrated to Tableau 9.1?

• 1. Re: Upgrade Question
          John Kuo

Not sure if there's a good answer to your question. Corporate end users follow the company's upgrade cycle -- I've seen companies that upgrade every maintenance release and some still on v8.1.

• 2. Re: Upgrade Question
            Carl Slifer

Howdy Mustafa,

This question has no correct and no wrong answer. I've consulted with clients who were still on 8.3 (it's probably over a year 'out of date' now) and some who've already adopted 9.2 days after it's release.  I would think that adoption to the new software would be slower depending on the size of the company / tableau server that they are using. This would be because of the number of files they would need to migrate and to make sure their IT team is comfortable with the new software.

As far as just using desktop anyone and everyone with an active license can download 9.2 if they have 8.0, etc. And it's not unusual for us as consultants here on the forum to answer questions in 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and even 8.0 sometimes.   I woul guess that as a developer it would matter if you are developing for clients who have a server environment or if everyone is just using desktop.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Upgrade Question
              Mustafa Rassiwala

Thanks Carl for the response. Maybe a quick follow-up. I have a need for my client who wants to publish their data source - to make data available in Tableau. I can use the Tableau SDK to create TDE files or create Web Data Connector and let Tableau pull data through the connector. Using Web Data Connector looks simple and attractive. But it needs Tableau 9.1 for users to be able to get access to the connector.

Any recommendations - Stick with SDK and generate TDE files that will be supported for older versions of Tableau or use the new Wed Data Connector - with the risk of lower number of users on 9.1?

Thanks

-Mustafa

• 4. Re: Upgrade Question
                Carl Slifer

Howdy Mustafa,

I think that the answer depends on what your user bases is and whether they are larger, slower to upgrade enterprise groups or if they are going to be personal users/ small companies who have a quicker adoption strategy. If they are the former it is best to stick with the SDC and if the latter use the WDC.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks

• 5. Re: Upgrade Question
                  Toby Erkson

Mustafa Rassiwala wrote:

... I have a need for my client who wants to publish their data source - to make data available in Tableau. I can use the Tableau SDK to create TDE files or create Web Data Connector and let Tableau pull data through the connector. Using Web Data Connector looks simple and attractive. But it needs Tableau 9.1 for users to be able to get access to the connector.

Any recommendations - Stick with SDK and generate TDE files that will be supported for older versions of Tableau or use the new Wed Data Connector - with the risk of lower number of users on 9.1?

Your customer needs to know their audience better.  Is the audience that will be consuming their data mostly 9.1 or not?  That should point them in the direction to focus on first.  Ideally they would have BOTH methods available to their customer-base

• 6. Re: Upgrade Question
                    Mustafa Rassiwala

Hi Toby

I agree we should develop for the target audience - the challenge is the target audience is mostly large enterprises and there is no easy way to know what version is more widely deployed today and how long will it take for majority of large enterprises to be on Tableau 9.1

Do you have any experience/data from past? I am looking for some data that say "X% of enterprises upgrade to the latest versions within Y months of release". Given we all like data, was hoping Tableau has a chart for this simple insight .

Thanks

-Mustafa

• 7. Re: Upgrade Question
                      Toby Erkson

No experience.  If I had to do this I would contact the Tableau Sales department.  They are going to know this better than anyone else here in the forums.