5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 2:55 PM by Andrew Hoiberg

Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data

Andrew Hoiberg

Tried searching for an answer and think this should be very straightforward, so forgive me if I'm missing a simple answer. See attached WB for reference.

I would simply like to be able to see state outlines and names on top of the shaded territory/county information. Even when trying to set transparency, I can barely read what is below. Yes, I know it should be intuitive, but this is what was requested.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data
          Carl Slifer

Howdy Andrew!

We are going to do something a bit different. We will make a dual axis map. When we have multiple axis on the same shelf (be that rows or columns) we get separate marks cards.  One of these marks cards will contain your current map with the county information and the other will contain only down to the state detail and labels.

Drag a copy of longitude onto the columns shelf, don't worry about dual axis for now just leave it there.

Navigate to the second marks card and removing everything except state.

Change the transparency level to 0% so that the colour doesn't matter.

Change the border to the darkest black you can find.

Drag State onto Label

Change the font for this label to be what you need, I did 10 and bold

Choose 'allow to overlap other marks' (**** you small NE states)

On our second instance of Longitude (generated), choose the drop down and select dual axis.

Profit

Check the attached workbook and let me know if this is what you had in mind.

Cheers!

Carl Slifer

InterWorks!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data
            Andrew Hoiberg

Carl, thanks much! Exactly what I was looking for. Additionally, is it possible to add in the territory names to the broad regions that make up the territory? For example, would want a label stating 'East Coast', 'Southwest', etc.?

• 3. Re: Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data
              Andrew Hoiberg

And, just to clarify, there's no way to make the territory colors the 'background,' if you will, and make the underlying map information darker or to become the top layer?

• 4. Re: Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data
                Carl Slifer

The territory field is what currently represents the colour. What would be the underlying ma information? Currently the territory is determined by the county , as you have some states that are not all the same colour because the county/state combination is what determines the territory.

What is the other underlying map information? I think you are referring to the map layers and if that's the case the answer is no - not unless you have tableau 9.2.

If you use Tableau 9.2 you can develop your own background map in much more detail using Mapbox, a third party software, which is free(ish) and allows for much more detailed customizations.

Because territory doesn't have a Tableau recognized geospatial it will be difficult to use it as a label in the middle of your territories without  doing some funky calculations to return the label for the territory instead of certain states. If you include territory on labels now it will label every state within it. So you'd need to say something like if state = ID, or state = NV or state = etc THEN [territory] END and then use this new field as a label.

I would look into MapBox so that the need for dual axis is not to add in state information and instead useful for adding in the territory title like above.

• 5. Re: Darken or Overlay State Labels on Territory Data
                  Andrew Hoiberg

Basically to have things like city names show up more clearly. Sounds like MapBox might be the way to go here. Thanks again!