5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 5:09 AM by Andrew Dursch

Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2

Andrew Dursch

I have a user that is getting the blue screen of death with one specific TWB file.  Sometimes the system crashes as soon as the file opens, other times she can work in it for a few minutes prior to the PC crashing.  I have no issue with the file on my PC and we have the exact hardware configuration.  She doesn't seem to have this issue when starting from scratch or opening a different TWB.  I found one discussion from a few years back the recommended disabling accelerated graphics.  We've tried this as well and it has not solved the problem.  I don't want to have the use upgrade the software until we get the server updated to the latest version.  Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2
          John Kuo

Get event viewer logs from the offending PC, your IT department (desktop support team?) should be able find out more about the crash.

====================================

To get Event Viewer (.evtx) log information

====================================

1. Click the "Start" button on the machine in question and type “eventvwr” (without the quotes) in the Search box.

2. A window labeled Event Viewer will open. If the "Event Viewer (Local)" folder is not expanded, double-click on the folder icon to expand it.

3. If the "Windows Logs" folder is not expanded, double-click on the folder icon to expand it.

4. Right-click on "Application" and select "Save All Events As..."

5. Chose the "Event Log (*.evtx)" file type, name the file "Application" and enter a save location

6. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the "Security" and "System" logs, naming the .evt files "Security" and "System" respectively.

Best,

John

• 2. Re: Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2
            John Kuo

By the way, is this issue only limited to one user on one particular PC with one particular twb? Different users have the same issue? Tried opening the workbook on another pc yet? It would be helpful to narrow down the common denominator of the issue: is it the user's account? the hardware/pc? Or the workbook is the troublemaker?

• 3. Re: Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2
              Andrew Dursch

Thank you John!  I'll work on getting the above files to our support group and see what we can figure out.   Once I have a resolution I'll report back.

This issue seems to be isolated to one user and one twb file.  The same twb files opens and causes no issue on other's pc with the same hardware.  The user is also able to work on other twb files without getting the blue screen.

• 4. Re: Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2
                John Kuo

I wonder if a simple uninstall/re-install of Tableau Desktop would fix the issue? I'm thinking that particular installation of Tableau Desktop might be corrupted.

• 5. Re: Blue Screen of Death using Desktop 9.1.2
                  Andrew Dursch

After working with our tech department we found that Symantec Endpoint Encryption was causing conflicts with Tableau Desktop.  We uninstall Symantec and used BitLocker in it's place.  She's been able to use Tableau for the past couple of days with no issue, so I think this solved the issue.  Thanks for your help John!