I too am getting this error and am interested in the resolution.
Buildfile: C:\Users\username\workspace\Tableau API\build.xml
Trying to override old definition of task javac
[mkdir] Created dir: C:\Users\username\workspace\Tableau API\build\jar
[jar] Building jar: C:\Users\username\workspace\Tableau API\build\jar\tab-documentation-api.jar
[java] Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to initialize the REST API
[java] at com.tableausoftware.documentation.api.rest.util.RestApiUtils.initialize(Unknown Source)
[java] at com.tableausoftware.documentation.api.rest.util.RestApiUtils.getInstance(Unknown Source)
[java] at com.tableausoftware.documentation.api.rest.Demo.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
[java] Exception in thread "main"
[java] Java Result: 1
Total time: 999 milliseconds
Hello Adam and Rakesh,
Rakesh and I figured out the cause of this issue. We went through the setup and noticed a couple small configuration details that might cause this error.
1. double check the extension of the schema file, we downloaded this through IE and it saved with the extension .xml. The subtle difference in the extension made it difficult to decipher.
The file should be like ts-api_2_0_1.xsd or ts-api_2_0.xsd, if it is .xml it'll need to be changed.
2. Verify the file used in step 1 is also referenced in the config.properties file. This will change depending on version
3. Verify the config.properties file exists in the "res" folder. This message will occur if the config file is missing or under a different extension
4. Make sure security on files in the folder are set to read/write, this may not work correctly if set only to read.
Hope this helps!