5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 4:13 PM by Derrick Austin

Changing Run As User Account

Su ve

What happens to data and users on the Tableau server when we change to a new Run As User account from old one? And what exactly Run As user account responsible for?

• 1. Re: Changing Run As User Account
          Derrick Austin

Hey Su,

The run-as account is responsible for running the Tableau Server processes in the background.

The biggest thing you need to be careful with in changing the account has to do with shared drive permissions.

If any users are referencing files on a shared drive (excel datasources, etc), they are using the "Run As User" for access.

The new "Run As User" should have access to these locations as well.

Derrick Austin

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing Run As User Account
            Jeff Strauss

as long as the new run-as user account has proper permissions, everything should stay in tact with the data and user permissioning.  But I would advise to test it within dev first.  And I would advise to also after changing it, go into folder structure and make sure that the new run-as user has proper permissions on the top folder and all child folders (i.e. inherit rights).

why do you want to change it?

It's the windows account that is associated to running the tabsvc and all the other associated processes that comes with Tableau.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Changing Run As User Account
              Su ve

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

In my organization, Admin for Tab Server got changed. Because of which I need to create a new "Run As" user account.

And also I need to migrate existing server(having old "Run As" user account) to a new hardware using that new "Run As" User account. Do I need to take care of anything except the permissions for new "Run As" user account?

Su

• 4. Re: Changing Run As User Account
                Su ve

Thanks for the reply Derrick.

How can check whether there are any referencing files on a shared drive, they are using the "Run As" user for access?

• 5. Re: Changing Run As User Account
                  Derrick Austin

Hey Su,

It definitely isn't the easiest to track these down - but you can check data connections area on the front-end interface for excel or text file types and ask the owners for some more information.

1 of 1 people found this helpful