5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2017 3:46 PM by Ashish Shah

Tableau server 9.2 permissions changes/explanation ?

Mohmed Shaik

Hi all,

I installed 9.2 in dev, and trying to understand the changes. The permissions getting assigned changed, and mostly by now many would be aware of this.

But wanted to open a discussion here to get clarification.

1). "Assign permissions to content" not present at project level. The permissions i am setting at project level -  for projects, and workbooks not getting inherited to workbooks inside

that project. what does it mean ?. like below screen shot, when i am assigning publisher for project, and interactor for workbooks, it's not getting reflected to workbooks !!

b) Also what is project level "publisher" permission and then "interactor" permission at workbook ?

Capture.PNG

2) In online guide, i read once the content is locked, it can be only be changed by server admins, project leader. Does it mean, site admins cannot change locked project's permissions any more both at project level and workbook level? Here is the statement from the guide "Administrators and project leaders can set and edit default permissions for the project, and its workbooks and data sources when it is locked."

Also, when the content is locked at project level, being server admin role, i am not seeing edit button at workbook level. So, admins can only edit permissions at project level, and edit, and change. but once the content is locked, at workbook level, permissions cannot be changed anymore. I am assuming i am right at this point

3) In workbook I have noticed two different scenarios. Permissions independent at views, and permissions inherited from workbook. If I take a closer look, and play around, i might get to know. But thought would be nice, if some one had already explored on this and clarify. Below are the screen shots.

permissions independent.PNG Permissions inherited.PNG

• 1. Re: Tableau server 9.2 permissions changes/explanation ?
          Randy Moss

Hi Mohmed,

I'm including my answers in-line in your original question for clarity below:

Mohmed Shaik wrote:

Hi all,

I installed 9.2 in dev, and trying to understand the changes. The permissions getting assigned changed, and mostly by now many would be aware of this.

But wanted to open a discussion here to get clarification.

1). "Assign permissions to content" not present at project level. The permissions i am setting at project level -  for projects, and workbooks not getting inherited to workbooks inside

that project. what does it mean ?. like below screen shot, when i am assigning publisher for project, and interactor for workbooks, it's not getting reflected to workbooks !!

--------

ANSWER

In 9.2, project permissions have changed to support two approaches for managing permissions for content:

• Managed by the owner: Workbooks and data sources in the project start with the default permissions managed at the project level. Permissions for individual workbooks and data sources in this project can be modified.
          • Locked to the project: Workbooks and data sources in this project always use the default permissions. Permissions for individual workbooks and data sources in this project cannot be modified independently.

In your project example, permissions are managed by the owner. When you change project permissions for workbooks and data sources, you are setting the default permissions that are assigned to content when it is initially published to the project. Changing these permissions will not affect content that is already published to the project.

If you want project-level permissions to always be inherited by workbooks and data sources within the project, you should change the project permissions setting to "Locked to the project."

--------

b) Also what is project level "publisher" permission and then "interactor" permission at workbook ?

Capture.PNG

--------

ANSWER

The "Publisher" permission role for the project gives users the ability to publish workbooks and data sources into the project. The "Interactor" permission role for workbooks gives users the ability to view and interact with workbooks published to the project by other users.

--------

2) In online guide, i read once the content is locked, it can be only be changed by server admins, project leader. Does it mean, site admins cannot change locked project's permissions any more both at project level and workbook level? Here is the statement from the guide "Administrators and project leaders can set and edit default permissions for the project, and its workbooks and data sources when it is locked."

--------

ANSWER

No – site administrators have the same capabilities here; by "administrator," we mean to include both server and site administrators. If content permissions are locked to the project, server administrators, site administrators, and project leaders can change the project permissions (which will be inherited by all content in the project). No one can change permissions for individual workbooks or data sources within the project so long as content permissions are locked to the project.

--------

Also, when the content is locked at project level, being server admin role, i am not seeing edit button at workbook level. So, admins can only edit permissions at project level, and edit, and change. but once the content is locked, at workbook level, permissions cannot be changed anymore. I am assuming i am right at this point

--------

ANSWER

That sounds about right. The only thing I would add for clarification is that when content permissions are locked to the project, you cannot edit permissions of individual workbooks or data sources, but an administrator or project Leader can still change permissions at the project level and these permission changes will immediately be inherited by all content in the project.

--------

3) In workbook I have noticed two different scenarios. Permissions independent at views, and permissions inherited from workbook. If I take a closer look, and play around, i might get to know. But thought would be nice, if some one had already explored on this and clarify. Below are the screen shots.

permissions independent.PNG Permissions inherited.PNG

--------

ANSWER

This behavior depends on whether or not tabbed views are shown or hidden for the workbook in question. If you choose to show tabs for the workbook, you enable users to navigate from one view to another. If this option is enabled, permissions for each view come from the workbook. The workbook permissions page displays the message "Permissions for views are inherited from the workbook."

If instead, you choose to hide tabs for the workbook, users will not be able to navigate from one view to another and each view can have its own independent permissions. The workbook permissions page displays the message "Permissions for views are controlled independently."

--------

Hope this information helps!

Best,

-Randy

6 of 6 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau server 9.2 permissions changes/explanation ?
            Mohmed Shaik

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the explanations. I got busy, and forgot to keep a note here thanking you. Tabbed vies vs single sheet explanation related to permission was really helpful. without ur explanation, i guess it would have taken me some time to figure that out until i notice that difference myself on worksheets.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Tableau server 9.2 permissions changes/explanation ?
              Mohmed Shaik

Hi,

I have understood the other points too now. Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Tableau server 9.2 permissions changes/explanation ?
                Ashish Shah

Hi Randy,

I still have a query on permission on views. Can views inherit permission from Workbook without being set as tabbed?

My Situation: I am server administrator and have 6 projects to manage, 1 was created by me and others by my colleague. To provide access of my project to users, I have created user groups. I have set the project to have access thru this specific user group. For this user group I have set permission as 'Denied' for the workbooks in other 5 projects (so that users don't see those workbooks and its views). But some of the workbooks in other 5 projects have views which are having permissions independent of the related workbook. This is causing issue as these views are visible to my users (though the workbooks are not visible based on 'Denied' permission).

Is there a way I can reset the inheritance of views to have permission via related workbook without setting them as tabbed?

Thanks,

Ashish