if you want, you can do a totally clean install. Close this install wizard, stop all tableau services, delete any Tableau directories, then do an install, at this point it shouldn't look for any backup but then you will need to do a restore manually (from whatever you already captured) to get all your data back.
Thanks for the note back.
I did try that although I did not "stop all tableau services", what does that mean?
actually go to control panel first and then uninstall via add/remove programs. this usually stops the tableau services and then will let you delete all the tableau folders in the install location.
but if the services are being stubborn...then go into a windows app called "services" and stop the tableau components manually.
Tom, is that you?
Yes, tis I, my fine young friend.
So I imagine this will wipe off Desktop also.
When I retry Server install, do you think it will help if I download server first? Rather than desktop first, server second?
In my experience, doing a clean install of server has had no effect on desktop because desktop is installed in a different drive location and I haven't seen any services associated with desktop.
To Perform a Clean Uninstall of Tableau Server:
1. Log into the Windows machine on which Tableau Server is installed as an Administrator
2. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and navigate to the Tableau sever installation. Default installation directories:
+ On a 32-bit machine: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin
+ On a 64-bit machine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin
3. Type the tabadmin stop command to stop Tableau Services
4. From the Start menu, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, click Tableau Server, and then click the Uninstall button.
5. Delete the Tableau Server folder from the following locations:
+ On a 32-bit machine: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server
+ On a 64-bit machine: C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server AND C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server
**"program data folder may be hidden, check this link to see hidden folders Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows 7, 8.x, 10, or Vista
6. Restart the Windows machine hosting Tableau Server. This should stop any running Tableau processes.
7. Now you are ready to restore or reinstall Tableau Server. Please note a clean uninstall erases all content and server settings -- Only do this to start fresh or to restore a backup for troubleshooting purposes.
so is it answered?
Not having participated in this thread, I have a slightly different question from Jeffrey:
Which is the correct answer? And would you be so kind as to mark it correct. Thanks,
Jeff’s instructions to clean my machine of Tabelau files and Services worked.
Also, the install is indeed independent of Desktop.
I do not know how to mark a question correct…I am a forum neophyte.
Account Manager – Mid Market
t: 206.633.3400 x4018
mobile: 571 439 0150