3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 6:43 PM by Joel Hughes

High-impact Dashboards in Healthcare

Joel Hughes

This may have been asked before, and I apologize beforehand if this duplicates something already available, but I'm curious to know what dashboards your healthcare organizations have found the most useful to end users. I've seen jonathan.drummey's really great Lollipops for Healthcare Quality Improvement dashboard, markjackson's really great readmissions dashboard, and some others, but I haven't heard much on the impact of these and related dashboards.

I guess my question, then, is what healthcare-related dashboards have you all created that have had the biggest impact in your organizations? Have any of these been constructed using publicly available data (e.g., HCAHPS)?

Best regards.

• 1. Re: High-impact Dashboards in Healthcare
          Jonathan Drummey

Hi Joel,

I'm not sure what HCAHPS dashboard you're referring to, can you point me at it?

You're asking a couple of questions about users and data here:

As for our users the most impactful dashboards have been ones where there's some sort of project or initiative that they are pursuing and the dashboard is enabling them to measure progress and/or identify where to take action. We've built other dashboards that basically sit there (getting updated with fresh data) because they aren't connecting to what the audience's current needs are, as much as we might want them to pay attention to them (I work in quality improvement where that is an historical issue).

The publicly reported data is a) behind the times (often a year or more old) and b) coarse-grained and c) limited in scope. So the top 100 DRGs by hospital data set that CMS has released Medicare Provider Utilization and Payment Data: Inpatient - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services is interesting but it can tell a limited story. The kind of work I'm often doing requires more timely data at a much finer grain with access to additional data elements, for example so we can break down our LOS by DRG and physician over quarter. So we're using data from our EMRs and here and there adding context by using additional data for benchmarking.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: High-impact Dashboards in Healthcare
            Brenda Fosmire

Jonathan - Well stated - every bit of what you said is similar to my experience with healthcare data. 

My org is working towards more up to date metrics, rather than the publicly available data set comparisons.  I will admit we are not there yet - but 2016 should get us there.

Our most used dashboards are those which present daily process stats - almost live data.

• 3. Re: High-impact Dashboards in Healthcare
              Joel Hughes

Hi, Jonathan.

Thanks for your reply. I did try to find the HCAHPS dashboard but couldn't locate it. I might have mixed it up with the Lollipops for HQI dashboard and have since changed the link to that dashboard instead.

Thanks, too, for your response to the question. You're so right that dashboards will be used when they address audiences' needs--or they will go unused. And the time-lag of publicly available data is certainly an issue. Better to focus on using in-house data, as you and Brenda Fosmire suggest, and supplement that with industry benchmarks and related data.

Thanks again for your feedback and for your ongoing bolstering of the Tableau and Tableau healthcare communities.