there is nothing built in to the product that handles this. We handled it here by creating a custom portal .Net app where announcements could be displayed up top as a banner, but this is a project to do this. Prior to having a custom portal, we would just send out emails to a distribution of everybody that uses Tableau Server.
Jeff Strauss wrote:
...just send out emails to a distribution of everybody that uses Tableau Server.
Yup, that's what I do. I have an email distribution list of all licensed Desktop users.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
To setup a maintenance page for your environment you could do the following
1. Setup a DNS alias for your tableau environment ie http://reporting.yourcompany.com
2. Have another web server setup with a site setup, showing your maintenance page. (Can just be a new site on an existing Web Server)
3. When you are about to perform your maintenance, have the DNS alias point to the maintenance website.
4. Perform your maintenance on the tableau server.
5. Once maintenance complete, repoint the DNS alias to the tableau server.
this is a nice alternative, though it doesn't let users know ahead of time, I guess this is what email is for. And depending on the size of your network, sometimes DNS entries can take a while to replicate.
In large corporate environments this likely isn't an option.
Cool idea! We've got it started in our Ideas Forum https://community.tableau.com/ideas/3674 take a look, add your thoughts and vote! Many ideas from this forum has been implemented and many new requested features are in development. the Ideas Forum is one of the main ways our product managers see what is requested by users.
Possibly. It would depend on how DNS is managed in such organisations. But yes, I agree, it could be problematic if DNS changes take a while to replicate.