3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2015 7:06 AM by Donna Coles

User Permission on Projects

Kumar Guntupalli

Hi Gurus,

I Create a Site in Tableau and Created 2 projects named Sales, HR

Assigned Aditya,Sruthin,Ganesh to the Site.

Aditya Interactor

Sruthin Viewer

Ganesh Viewer (Publisher)

create 2 groups named Sales and HR to control the content.

Sales  has Aditya and Sruthin

HR     has Aditya and Ganesh.

I assigned Sales group to Sales Project as Viewer and assigned HR to Sales Project but explicitly denied because i don't want HR users to see the Sales Project

I assigned HR group to HR Project as Viewer and assigned Sales to Sales Project but explicitly denied because i don't want HR users to see the Sales Project

When I logged in as Ganesh, I am able to see HR project and able to view the dashboard, Views

When I Logged in as Sruthin, I am able to see HR project and able to view the dashboard, Views

When I Logged in as Aditya, I am able to see Default Project only

My Question is Why Aditya is not able to see HR and Sales Project (He is part of two groups)

Please find the attached word document for images

• 1. Re: User Permission on Projects
          Donna Coles

Hi Kumar

My assumption here is that the explicit denial of access is taking precendence - multiple access permissions for the same person has been found, but the logic flow will treat explicit denial as precendence. Why do you need to even grant anything to the HR Group on the Sales project & vice versa.  Just add the Sales Group only to the Sales project as viewer and the HR Group only to the HR project as viewer and then all should work as you expect.

Donna

• 2. Re: User Permission on Projects
            Kumar Guntupalli

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your response. I did the same way as you mentioned but no Luck. All Users are able to see all the projects in that site and access to all the views in the projects based on their role

• 3. Re: User Permission on Projects
              Donna Coles

Hi Kumar

After changing the permissions on the project, you will need to 'assign permissions to contents' to ensure any workbooks published within the projects reflects the change.  If you're not sure where to do this, check the server admin help documentation for the version of the server you're on.  Tableau doesn't support automatic permission inheritience.

Donna

1 of 1 people found this helpful