2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 10:35 AM by Eric Axelrod

Any way to separate workbook publishing and datasource publishing permissions?

Chloe Jensen

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to allow users to publish workbooks that are connected to data sources that are already published to the server, but disallow them from publishing any new datasources either embedded in the workbook or directly to the server. The idea is that we limit these users to only data sources we have QA'ed but allow them to visualize the data in any manner. Does anyone know of any way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Any way to separate workbook publishing and datasource publishing permissions?
          Chloe Jensen

Does anyone know if this would work: So far all I've been able to find is that I can give separate projects permissions, so I could keep all of our QA'ed datasources in one project and only give these users connect permissions and then allow them to save permissions to a different project, which would at least keep all the datasources separate from each other. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks in advance.

• 2. Re: Any way to separate workbook publishing and datasource publishing permissions?
            Eric Axelrod

The scenario you described is how I manage all of my Tableau Server environments.

Most functional areas (Finance, Sales, Inventory, etc.) have their own projects for Workbooks, and datasources are typically not published to these projects.  Power users have the ability to publish workbooks to these projects.

Datasources have their own projects, where most users only have connect permissions.  A much smaller set of users have permissions to publish in the Datasources projects.

I don't have an automatic security-based solution for disallowing users to publish workbooks with embedded datasources.  This can be solved by implementing a workflow for content creation in Tableau, where everything is reviewed and approved by an approver (designated admins or power users) before the objects are promoted to production.  The approvers ensure all workbooks and datasources conform to the standard you have specified.

Thanks,

Eric Axelrod

President & Chief Architect

DIGR

2 of 2 people found this helpful