6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 7:27 AM by Tom Hier

Binning problem

Tom Hier

I have a database of college courses.  A field in the database is "Enrollment" (a measure).  I am trying to bin the enrollments using a parameter to control the bin size.  I start by creating a histogram on the Enrollment measure, which gives me a histogram binned at 20 (i.e., number of classes with enrollments of 1 to 20 students, enrollments of 21 to 40 students, etc.).

When I open the filter on the Enrollment (bin), my only option for creating a parameter is on the third tab -- "Top x" area.  But I don't want to create a bin of the "top x" -- I want to be able to create a histogram where I vary the bin size overall.  For example, instead of having my bins at 1 to 20, 21 to 40, etc., I want flexibility to specify the increment -- say at 30 (1 to 30, 31 to 60, etc) or at 10 (1 to 10, 11 to 20, 21 to 30), and so forth.

I've got a sample test file using the Superstores database, and this concept works with the Profit variable in that database, but I cannot figure out exactly how.  And I have not been able to translate it to my Enrollment field in my database.

A packaged workbook is attached here with the database and viz that I've created thus far.  Would appreciate any help / wisdom.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Binning problem
          Chris Sanders

Hi Tom,

When you right-click on your enrollment bin, click Edit.  This will open up the Edit Bins dialogue box. In the drop down box next to "Size of bins"  there should be the option to Create new parameter.  That will open up a parameter dialogue, in which you can set up your parameter Range, Minimum/Maximum parameter values and step size.

I'm in 9.1, and have attached the solution.

Let me know if this doesn't work or if you have any questions.

Chris Sanders

InterWorks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Binning problem
            Tom Hier

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your solution.  Unfortunately, when I right click on “Enrollment (bin)”, I don’t get an “Edit bins” option.  The options that appear on my screen are things like “Filter”, “Show Quick Filter”, and even “Edit Aliases” and “Edit in Shelf”, but nothing that allows me to edit the field directly.

Here are the steps I’ve taken.

1.      Click on Enrollment (Measure), and then click on the “Show Me” box and the “Histogram” option.

2.      A histogram of Enrollment shows up – in bins of 20.  The columns shelf has the “Enrollment (bin)” field (blue); the rows shelf has the “Cnt(Enrollment)” field (green).

3.      I right click on “Enrollment (bin)” and get the options mentioned above.

4.      That is as far as I can get.

I’ve also tried creating a parameter by right clicking on “Enrollment” in the Measures window.  I can create a parameter there, but I cannot figure out how to connect it to “Enrollment (bin).”

I’m clearly missing something, but I don’t know what.  Thank you for your help on this.

Tom Hier

Thomas Hier

Principal

Biddison Hier, Ltd.

Consultants to Higher Education

1515 Fifteenth Street, NW  Suite 613

Washington, DC 20005-1865

(202) 882-8700<tel:%28202%29%20882-8700> Phone

(202) 726-2251<tel:%28202%29%20726-2251> Fax

hier@biddhier.com<mailto:hier@biddhier.com>  EMail

www.biddhier.com<http://www.biddhier.com>  Web

• 3. Re: Binning problem
              Chris Sanders

Sorry Tom, I should have been more clear.  Right click the Enrollment (bin) field that is inside of your Dimensions shelf. At that point you should see the option to Edit.

Were you able to view the solution I attached above?  Is that what you were aiming to do?

• 4. Re: Binning problem
                Tom Hier

Hi Chris,

I was able to view your solution, and that is exactly what I was looking to do.  Thanks for the clarification.  I should have realized that a separate dimension called “Enrollment (bin)” was automatically created when the histogram was generated.  I clicked on that and it worked perfectly.

Many, many thanks!

Tom

Thomas Hier

Principal

Biddison Hier, Ltd.

• 5. Re: Binning problem
                  Shawn Wallwork

Tom are you right-clicking the Enrollment bin pill on the column shelf, or the Enrollment bin field in the Dimension pane? Try the one in the Dimension pane.

• 6. Re: Binning problem
                    Tom Hier

I was originally clicking the Enrollment (bin) pill on the column shelf, because I didn’t realize that an Enrollment (bin) dimension was created automatically with the histogram.  I should have realized that; now I know and I’ve been able to fix the problem.  Thanks for letting me know.

Tom

Thomas Hier

Principal

Biddison Hier, Ltd.