2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 4:11 PM by Harley Ellenberger

tabcmd extract refresh from Excel data source - temp file location

Harley Ellenberger

I'm having trouble getting my extract to refresh via tabcmd in a workbook that I've published to server that includes an .xlsx data source.

My source file is saved in the 'bin' directory of my Tableau Server machine.  The connection properties look like this....

2015-11-06 17_00_13-KMAI_Tableau - KMIWCWEBPRD251 - Full Control.png

The extract properties look like this....

2015-11-06 16_59_37-KMAI_Tableau - KMIWCWEBPRD251 - Full Control.png

After publishing the workbook to my server, I run a 'tabcmd refreshextracts' command.  And I get this result....

2015-11-06 17_08_29-KMAI_Tableau - KMIWCWEBPRD251 - Full Control.png

What file would it be trying to access in that TableauTemp directory?  Every time I run the refreshextracts command it's a different random filename that it's looking for.  When I look for these files in that TableauTemp directory they don't exist.

• 1. Re: tabcmd extract refresh from Excel data source - temp file location
          Jeff Strauss

here are two suggestions.  I hope this helps.

1. When publishing, uncheck the include external files option on the publish dialog.  When you do this, it should not include your Excel data as part of the workbook.

2. Refer to the path of your Excel workbook that is stored on TS as a UNC path.  In order to do this, you will probably need to create a share on your server that can be referenced via the UNC path.  In my case, I created a share on the scripts\serveradmin on my G drive and then it's referenced with \\servername\scripts\ServerAdmin\TableauAdminData\excel.xls

3. ok, there's a 3rd suggestion too.  Don't save your Excel to the Tableau Server directory, bad idea.  Because the next upgrade you do, this file will be wiped out.  Rather, save it somewhere like D:\blah\blah\data\excel.xls

pubx.png

• 2. Re: tabcmd extract refresh from Excel data source - temp file location
            Harley Ellenberger

Thanks.  #2 did the trick.

On #3, I've always saved some of my working files in the 'bin' directory knowing full well that this wasn't the best place to save them.  When I'd upgrade Tableau Server, I just made a copy of these files and put them back in the new 'bin' directory after the upgrade.  Guess now would be as good a time as any to get those files moved somewhere else.