9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 7:09 AM by Mark Fraser

Locking old topics

Chris McClellan

This is a pet hate of mine that seems to be happening a lot lately - a new forum member finds a very old topic (over 6 months old, but usually over 12 months old), and revives the topic by posting in it.

With Tableau releasing a new version (almost) monthly, even something that was posted 6 months ago *might* now be out of date.  Also, the new forum member can't mark a reply was helpful or correct because they are not the OP.

Is there a feature in the forums that would allow old topics to be "locked" - effectively just removing the ability to post a reply on the topic ?

• 1. Re: Locking old topics
          Mark Fraser

Hi Chris

I think its a great idea - I have seen it implemented on other forums and I think it works well.

I have raised your idea in the ambassador's forum (just in case it was missed - time zones) to get everyone's thoughts

(I have linked to this thread).

In addition - Community will need to research whether the forum software allows such 'fancy' features....

Cheers

Mark

• 2. Re: Locking old topics
            Toby Erkson

What, you don't like zombie threads?   Yeah, I hate reading a post and then something doesn't sound quite right and when I check the date it's something that was created 2-3 years ago and someone revived it

For me it depends on whether to lock a thread or not.  If the information/discussion is still relevant then it stays open.  If the person who posts is asking a question that is not exactly and directly related to the original post then I'll branch it into its own new topic.  I'm careful about locking threads because the conversation can legitimately be revived in many cases so it's really a discretionary action for thinking moderators and administrators.

• 3. Re: Locking old topics
              Jonathan Drummey

I'm ambivalent about this. For someone like me who isn't so active on the

forums these days getting a notification on a thread I've touched gives me

a chance to help out without having to dive into the huge stream of new

posts. also there are threads like Richard Leeke's mapping one and the

running/moving COUNTD that having everything in one place makes more sense

than spinning off dozens of threads. However formerly-active people and big

threads like that are a minority of the activity these days, so I can see

the other side.

Jonathan

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Toby Erkson <

• 4. Re: Locking old topics
                Tracy Rodgers

Replied in the Ambassador thread and then saw this one too:

What we could do is archive threads that have been inactive after a set period of time. This means that if there has been some sort of activity - they will remain open, but if there hasn't been any activity on them, then they'll essentially lock. Additionally, we could move them to an "Archived" space, such as this:

Archive

What are thoughts on this idea?

• 5. Re: Locking old topics
                  Michael Perillo

Would the content within Archive be searchable and included in suggested/relevant topics of search for content?  If so, sure.

• 6. Re: Locking old topics
                    Chris McClellan

Definitely, it would still have to be searchable, linkable, etc...  so I wouldn't want the URL to change in Google otherwise there's a disconnect between googling for it (sometimes I don't just search on tableau.com) and finding the actual topic.

Archiving does sound the best, because activity will keep the topic open and a quiet topic is archived.

• 7. Re: Locking old topics
                      Tracy Rodgers

The url stays the same, no matter where the thread "lives." And yes, it would definitely still be searchable - http://community.tableau.com/search?q=different+data+sources+tableau+connects+to

Notice the second post is found in Archives:

archive.jpg

• 8. Re: Locking old topics
                        Toby Erkson

tracyfitzgerald wrote:

Replied in the Ambassador thread and then saw this one too:

What we could do is archive threads that have been inactive after a set period of time. This means that if there has been some sort of activity - they will remain open, but if there hasn't been any activity on them, then they'll essentially lock. Additionally, we could move them to an "Archived" space, such as this:

Archive

What are thoughts on this idea?

So it would exist but be permanently locked, correct?

If so, that sounds fine.

• 9. Re: Locking old topics
                          Mark Fraser

Had to link this thread, if only for Shawn's comment How do I round a decimal up to the next whole integer?