2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 12:36 PM by Judith Lanzo

After upgraded Tableau Server to 9.0 embedded dashboards are displaying the Tableau Sign in Page

Judith Lanzo

We use SAML for SSO authentication.  We upgraded from 8.2 to 9.0.5.  Prior to the upgrade, embedded dashboards in salesfore.com would automatically redirect to the idp for authentication.  After the upgrade it is no longer automatically redirecting to the idp and is forcing the user to see the Tableau Sign On page and click sign on before sending to the idp.  This is only happening with salesforce.com embedded urls.  When logging on to the server directly it automatically redirects to the idp and you do not see the Tableau Sign on Page.  I opened up a case with Tech Support and was told that this was by design and expected.  I understand that SAML authentication first goes to the SP, but I don't understand why this behavior changed and is only happening in Salesforce.com embedded pages. Can someone help explain why this is happening?  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

• 1. Re: After upgraded Tableau Server to 9.0 embedded dashboards are displaying the Tableau Sign in Page
          Jeff Strauss

I haven't run into this issue as we do not use SAML, however we do have dashboards embedded in outside portals.  Is there an option for you to leverage the trusted authentication model as this is setup to take credentials from your portal server, retrieve a trusted ticket from TS, and then use the redeemed trusted ticket for the remainder of the session.  The problem could be that Tableau 9 introduced a new internal process called vizportal that handles authentication, but if you're coming from an outside app, then perhaps it doesn't fully leverage this process.

Trusted Authentication

• 2. Re: After upgraded Tableau Server to 9.0 embedded dashboards are displaying the Tableau Sign in Page
            Judith Lanzo

Jeffrey,

Thank You for your reply.

I have been looking into Trusted Authentication and the sparkler adaptor as a potential solution.  However the username in salesforce is set up to be the users email address.  The username in Tableau is from our active directory username.  So I imagine we would still have some kind of issue unless we are able to pass through the correct username somehow.

I was wondering if the username discrepancy might also play into why this isn’t working based on the current configuration, however since we did not see this behavior with 8.2 I don’t know why that would have changed unless as you stated it has something to do with the new vizportal process.