9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 8:03 AM by Toby Erkson

Connecting to Tableau Postgres

andy.yu

Hello,

I've been trying to connect to the Tableau PostgreSQL database to create customized admin views.

We're currently on Tableau Server 9.0.5 (64-bit)

Is there anything that I'm missing or should be looking at. Based on the online manual I had thought I would be able to access the PostgreSQL database from any external IP address.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
          Toby Erkson

Can you show us the error message?

The Server address you connect to is the URL that users would normally use to log in to the Tableau Server.  For example, if your users go to http://TheCompanyServer.net/ then you would use TheCompanyServer.net.

• 2. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
            andy.yu

Hi Toby,

Thanks for the assistance, see below for the error message.

Blocked out the IP address and the server name.

• For the field "Server", I put in our address: mytableauserver.com
            • I checked and the server is running
            • The server where Tableau Server is hosted is not managed by us, but is managed by the IT group
              • It looks like it's looking at the ip address where Tableau Server is hosted, specifically port 8060
                • Example: 123.45.6.78:8060
                • Is that what's causing it or do I need to do something else?

2015-10-28 12_17_59-Tableau - Book1.png

• 3. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
              Toby Erkson

Interesting.  Everything looks correct for your data connection.  You do want to use the server address instead of the IP address (rule of thumb preference).

1. If you were able to perform the tabadmin commands then that means you can connect to your server box via Remote Desktop, correct?
              2. Did you try the username "readonly"?
              • 4. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                andy.yu

Thanks Toby!

• Tried using the server address and still received an error.
                • Yes we can connect to our server box via Remote Desktop
                • Tried "readonly" as well and got the same error message.

What I tried doing was going into Windows Firewall and creating a rule to open up port 8060. After that I was able to connect to it on my local PC.

The server where our Tableau Server is hosted is managed by our IT group, so I'm assuming they locked everything down. But I guess that was the cause maybe

• 5. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                  Jeff Strauss

Has your IT guys setup SSL on your Tableau server?  Perhaps this is why the connection is being refused?  You can tell if you type in on your browser https:// instead of http://.  If so, try clicking on "require SSL"

• 6. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                    Toby Erkson

I was going to suggest that there may be a firewall or other anti-badguy blocks but you figured it out

• 7. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                      andy.yu

Thanks Jeffery and Toby.

I looked to see if our IT group setup SSL and when I type on our Tableau address I found out they did not (so http://)

Yeah it looks like it's something to do with the firewall now I just need to see if the IT team is okay opening up that port.

Thank you so much for everyone's suggestion!

• 8. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                        Toby Erkson

andy.yu wrote:

Yeah it looks like it's something to do with the firewall now I just need to see if the IT team is okay opening up that port.

Well, in order for you to get your job done they need to!  Worst-case scenario is that you have to build/run your custom admin reports on the Tableau box itself    It's okay to have Tableau Desktop on your server and use the same license key that you are using on your local desktop computer, just make sure that you are only using one of them at a time so as not to violate the user licensing agreement (if in doubt please contact your sales rep.).

• 9. Re: Connecting to Tableau Postgres
                          Toby Erkson

List of ports Tableau Server uses:

Tableau Server Ports

1 of 1 people found this helpful