4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 6:36 AM by Robin Francis

Bar Chart Quarter and months in the same graph

Robin Francis

In a bar chart I would like to have one bar for Q2 average and then for Q3  I want 3 bars for each month (Jul,Aug, Sep). How can I do it ? Please help

• 1. Re: Bar Chart Quarter and months in the same graph
          ann.stolzman

Robin,

Just to clarify - you're looking for the end product to have *FOUR* bars:  Q2 avg, Q3 Jul Actual, Q3 Aug Actual, Q3 September Actual.  Correct?

-Ann-

edited: I'm thinking that the right way to do this, without getting into complicated formulas that may not work (nothing I've found on the forums actually ever worked for me), is to put two graphs side by side - one is the quarter average, and the other is the months broken out. 

The advantage of this is that you can have both of them driven by the same filters, you should be able to get them to update based on current date unless you want them to be frozen to a specific point in time (or, as I said, driven by a filter). 

Hope that helps!

• 2. Re: Bar Chart Quarter and months in the same graph
            Chris McClellan

The problem with using 2 graphs is that the scale might be different on each.

If the prior quarter is an average, are the months in the current quarter an average as well ?

Would it be possible to include the prior quarter average as a reference line on the graph ?

I'm just thinking of other ways to do it because having your time values at different levels (Qtr & Month) might be difficult to do.

• 3. Re: Bar Chart Quarter and months in the same graph
              ann.stolzman

Chris McClellan You are absolutely right about the scale being different... but if Robin is ok with that small issue for the sake of having the data side by side, I managed to do it.

I tried using a reference line for matching the axis', but that didn't quite work since the two measures are identical (instead of comparing sales and cost, as in the example in this thread: Synchronise axis on different sheets on the same dashboard)

-Ann-

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Bar Chart Quarter and months in the same graph
                Robin Francis

Ann and Chris thanks for your responses. Yes you are right.you're looking for the end product to have *FOUR* bars:  Q2 avg, Q3 Jul Actual, Q3 Aug Actual, Q3 September. The problem I have is real estate in the dash board. I have other grqaphs to include in my dash board. One way I found working was to create sub totals and then hide the months for Q2 and then show only the months for Q3. This way you have the data in one graph.

Sorry I didn't find a way to delte my duplicate questions. It happened becaus my first question was not approved by the admin for a long time and in the mean time I added duplicates andf all of them were approved at the same time. My apologies. Thanks for your time and help. God Bless.