2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2015 12:22 PM by Andrew Goldsmith

recreating figure 4-18 in Tableau Your Data - displaying running % of total

Andrew Goldsmith

sorry to ask such basic questions but i want to exactly replicate figure 4-18 but somehow the instructions in the book must leave out a couple key steps for a beginner like me.

in the attached picture, I want to change the graph on the right as follows:

1) instead of each point displaying the state's 2014 population, i want each point to show the state/s percent of running total, so california would = ~13%,

2) i want the dual axis graph to be a bar chart and line but when I select dual axis, I get a mess.

I have attached a screenshot of the current worksheet

• 1. Re: recreating figure 4-18 in Tableau Your Data - displaying running % of total
          . Indumon

Hi Andrew,

Please try the following steps..

Step 1: Place the state Dimension in the Rows

Step2:  Place the measure 2014 in Columns

Step3:  Sort the state Descending order( you should have the below output)

Screen.PNG

Step4:  Place the measure 2014 in Columns next to the existing Sum(2014) measure

Screen1.PNG

Step5:  Right click on the second Sum(2014) measure in the column and “select add table calculation”

Step 6: Do the below table calculation

Screen2.PNG

Step 7: Right click on the Second Sum(2014) measure and choose “Dual Axis”      (Now your pane will convert to circles visualization)

Screen3.PNG

Step 8: Right click on the first Measure Sum(2014) and select Marktype= Bar

Step 9: Right click on the second Measure Sum(2014) and select Marktype= Line

Screen4.PNG

Step 10: click on the menu bar label “Abc” icon to show the labels for each bar and line graph data points

Screen5.PNG

Step 11: click on the swap button if you want to change the vertical graph to horizontal

Screen6.PNG

Also please find the attached Tableau workbook I have used.

Hope this will help you

-Indumon

• 2. Re: recreating figure 4-18 in Tableau Your Data - displaying running % of total
            Andrew Goldsmith

Hi Indumon --

Thanks for your help.

There is still one thing that I don't know how to do.

For the data displayed where mark type = line, currently at each point

on the line, the 2014 population for each state is visibly displayed.

See the attached screenshot.

I do not want this.

That information is already shown on the bar chart marks so I do not

need to show the same information twice.

Instead, on the line, I want to visibly display for each point on the

line a percentage.

This percentage should correspond to the "% of Total Running Sum of 2014

along State" as displayed in the little tooltip box in the attached image.

However, I don't want to force the user to hover over the data point to

see the percentage.  I want the percentage to show up next to each point

on the line graph.

Thanks so much for your help!!! I really appreciate it.