6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 2:59 PM by Kenneth McBride

Filter other Dimensions on Parameter

scott tavares

Hi All,

Been trying to figure out how to have filters change dynamically based on the parameter selection. Based on the attached sample, I want to be able to select online pub or print pub from the "Channel Selector" and have it dynamically change the global email or global print to yes depending on the channel selection. Is there a way to do this?

If channel selector = online pub then global email = yes else no or if channel selector = print pub then global print = yes else no end

Thank you in advance,

Scott

• 1. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
          Kenneth McBride

Hey Scott,

I'm following you on what you're trying to accomplish with the parameters a filters for the most part but can you describe why you're trying to achieve this? Is the end goal simply to filter a sheet based on which option is selected from the parameter? I think I can get you there if you can help me understand what end result you're trying to achieve.

Ken

• 2. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
            scott tavares

Hi Ken,

Correct, the end game is to simply filter a sheet based on a selector option from a parameter. Currently, a stakeholder has to choose a channel selector parameter then manually choose the corresponding filter (global email, global print). I wanted to make it easy for them by dynamically having the filter change based on the selector.

I hope this is clear.

let me know if you have any questions.

Scott

• 3. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
              Kenneth McBride

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. One final question to make sure I'm following you,

- user selects Online Pub from the parameter they should get Global Email=yes and Global Print=no

- user selects Print Pub from the parameter they should get Global Email=no and Global Print=yes

Are those the scenarios? If so this calc should work I think:

if [Channel Selector]="Online Pub" and [Global Email]="yes" and [Global Print]="no"

then 1

elseif [Channel Selector]="Print Pub" and [Global Email]="no" and [Global Print]="yes"

then 1

else 0

END

Move that calc to the dimension's window then onto the filter shelf and set it to "1".

Ken

• 4. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
                scott tavares

Almost correct.

- user selects Online Pub from the parameter they should get Global Email=yes and Global Print= yes and no

- user selects Print Pub from the parameter they should get Global Email= yes and no and Global Print=yes

• 5. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
                  scott tavares

Hi Ken,

I figured it out, just delete one of the non-relevant filters for each selector. I guess the part I did wrong was that I didnt include the 0 or 1 value.

if [Channel Selector]="Online Pub" and [Global Email]="yes"

then 1

elseif [Channel Selector]="Print Pub" and [Global Print]="yes"

then 1

else 0

END

This was great learning. Thanks alot for all your help,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Filter other Dimensions on Parameter
                    Kenneth McBride

Glad to hear you were able to get it working. If you wouldn't mind setting the question to answered so others know this is resolved that would be great. Thanks!

Ken