3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2015 4:33 PM by Kenneth McBride

    Tableau Server Data Sources Returning Empty Results

    Jared Kubly

      We have several published data sources on Tableau Server. Recently some of them have been frequently returning empty results when building visualizations on desktop. When I run these queries directly on the database (Postgres) via a client (DbVisualizer) I get results.

       

      Has anyone experienced this?

      Does anyone know what I might look for in the logs to identify what the problem might be?

       

      Thank you.

        • 1. Re: Tableau Server Data Sources Returning Empty Results
          Kenneth McBride

          Jared, do you have any filters being applied to the data sources? I've seen several situations where data source return 0 records when refreshed on Tableau Server when they have filters applied that rely on certain conditions being met.

           

          If I had to guess I would say these are extracts and they've been refreshed on Tableau Server. If this is the case, do these extracts have filters applied?

          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Data Sources Returning Empty Results
            Jared Kubly

            Thanks for the reply Kenneth. I have found this to be an issue before but I checked the parameters the analyst is using and everything looks correct this time.

            • 3. Re: Tableau Server Data Sources Returning Empty Results
              Kenneth McBride

              So something else I've seen is when you have a data source filter such as this:

              data source filter.png

               

              And at some point if the extract gets recreated, the data source filter slips into the list of extract filters. And if you don't notice it you end up with an extract that has a filter applied by accident. Like this:

              extract filter.png

               

              As a quick test would be to either download a local copy of the server hosted data source and see if it has an extract filter or to open the workbook that has the local copy of the extract that you use to publish to server and check it. I would also check the Background Tasks for Extracts to see if the refresh is throwing an error or if it is completing very quickly and successfully.

               

              Ken