1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2016 11:52 AM by Shelly Jamwal

Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts

jegan.sivaraj

I'm getting an address is too short error. I copied the Email fields from the Vizalerts datasource and changed the calc for the Email to and Email from. Anyone come across this error? There are only three rows in my result set but the vizalerts is looking at 37 rows.

Row

Field

Value

Error

Email To *

All

Address is too short: All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

Email To *

All

Email From ~

All

Email CC ~

All

Email BCC ~

All

• 1. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
          Matt Coles

Is "All" the address you specified? You will need to provide the full address, e.g. "all@mycompany.com".

Also, I can't explain why you are seeing that many rows based on your data--it depends on how you've aggregated things and displayed them in the viz. But I can say that what you see in the viz is not always what you'll get from the CSV data. Once VizAlerts gets the csv data, it removes all columns that don't map to email fields (all the [ Email __ *] fields) removes all duplicates, then sorts it by subject and recipients if you're consolidating the Body fields.

The raw CSV data that it is processing should be attached to the email you got (this is what we got back from Tableau Server--not the cleansed, de-duped and sorted version). The line numbers in the table tell you which specific rows contained the data that couldn't be processed.

• 2. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
            Matt Coles

Also, just in case you were about to email blast your whole company--I always recommend starting simple, then working your way up as you build trust in your alert. Set it to email just yourself first, test it manually, then let it "bake" for awhile with some filter that ensure it fires several times over the next few days. Once you're sure it's working and useful, then you can let off the brakes a bit. I can't tell you how many times I've built an alert that was going to push to a ton of people and then though "wellllll, I'd better just double-check that this is doing what I think". Several iterations later, I've always been glad that I'd taken it slowly!!

• 3. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
              jegan.sivaraj

Haha woudn't that be awesome. No I was just trying to send one to myself.

I should have looked at the csv before I started this thread. The ALL are from a grand total line. I guess the total line is a no no for the trigger view.

Thank for the quick reply.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                Matt Coles

Ha! Boy am I glad that we only support explicit addresses!

• 5. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                  jegan.sivaraj

Hmm ok it seemed to work but there is no csv or embedded view in the email. Here is what I got -

Tableau Alerts for <>

This VizAlerts email generated on behalf of <>, from view Dashboard 1

• 6. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                    Matt Coles

Advanced alerts don't automatically embed the viz image, and they can't attach the CSV data at present. So that's expected.

If you want to render the image, you need to embed the "trigger" sheet into a dashboard and add the [ Embed Viz Image ~] field in the Body where you want it to show up. The entire dashboard will be rendered and then embedded into that location. Note that you'll likely want to "hide" your trigger data in the dashboard, since it's not really pretty. That's up to you, though. See the User Guide , section "Additional Advanced Alert Features", bullet point "Embed Viz Image ~" for more info.

The footer is supposed to have the system name of the user who subscribed to the alert in the angle brackets at the bottom. I'm not sure why it wouldn't have added that info successfully--I'd need to look at the logs to figure that out.

• 7. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                      jegan.sivaraj

I may be confused. Should the trigger view subscribe to the disabled schedule? or is it the dashboard that has the hidden trigger view?

• 8. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                        Matt Coles

So, you can do it either way. It depends on what you want.

If you just want an HTML email with no rendered image, don't embed your trigger into a dashboard. There's no need for a visual component, so you just need the raw data in the Email fields. For some stuff, like naggy admin emails "hey, clean up your old workbooks", that works fine.

If you want to embed a rendered Tableau view into the email, though, things change. The CSV data exported from a Dashboard is always the first View in the dashboard in alphabetical order. The PNG image exported from a Dashboard is always the entire dashboard. So if you want to embed a Dashboard in your email, what you need to do is add your "trigger" view containing your raw text Email data to the Dashboard, and ensure that its name comes first alphabetically (prepending "-" works well for this). Then, use the [ Embed Viz Image ~] field in the [ Email Body *] field wherever you want it to end up. If VizAlerts finds that tag in the Body of your email, it makes a new request that renders the entire Dashboard to PNG, then embeds that in the body of your email where you wanted it.

Does that make sense?

• 9. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                          jegan.sivaraj

Got it. It is working beautifully.

I will be attending your session on Thursday. Hope to meet you there.

• 10. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                            Matt Coles

Awesome! Thanks for being an early adopter. See you at the conference!

• 11. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                              jegan.sivaraj

Matt,

It was great meeting you at the conference. I enjoyed your session.

I'm getting a Connection Unexpectedly Closed error on the send_email, view_failure and process_csv processes. What could be the cause here?

2015-10-23 23:03:14 - [ERROR] - send_email - Email failed to send: Connection un

expectedly closed

2015-10-23 23:03:14 - [ERROR] - view_failure - Unknown error sending exception a

lert email: Connection unexpectedly closed

• 12. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                                Matt Coles

Good to meet you too! I'm not sure what's going on with that one, I haven't seen it before. Looks like it's having issues sending the email, probably due to the smtp server closing the connection. How large is the email you're trying to send with your Advanced Alert? What's the max allowable mail size for your server? We've had issues with Subscriptions a few times because our server was killing anything larger than 10 MB or so, and it took a few go-arounds with IT to up it to 100. Wondering if that might be happening.

Another thing you can do just to rule everything else out is to use PaperCut to simulate an SMTP server and point your config to "localhost" as the SMTP server, then see if you can intercept the mail that way. You'll at least be able to figure out what' VizAlerts is trying to send, that way...

• 13. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                                  Shelly Jamwal

HI Jegan

I am also getting the same error and my report too has a Total row.

How did you get this to work?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Vizalerts error in Advanced Alerts
                                    jegan.sivaraj

Shelly,

I removed the total row from the report. When you think about it, a total does not make sense for an alert by row detail.

1 2 Previous Next