1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2015 11:53 PM by kri shna Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
        Vishruth Reddy

Yayy... This can be a 3.5.

Thanks for this Rody. This was just what i needed for my Monday presentation.

screenshot.JPG

Thanks Again,

Vishruth

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • 16. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
          Simon Runc

...at last!!...and corrected my initial decimal oversight!! Pooja you're a harsh task-master!!

I'll give this one a 4 (four). 3 (three) for the general challenge and then an extra 1 for the 'Tableau-nuances' in this arrangement. Good Challenge!!

Brain Teaser v2.PNG

• 17. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
            Rody Zakovich

You guys and gals are way too smart for me

So before I get into the explanation of how to do this, I want to mention a conversation me and Simon had regarding Educational Brain Teasers. In so many words, Simon explained that the Educational Brain Teasers series is not meant to be a "heavy workload task", but instead a vehicle that reminds us there is more to Tableau, than what is at face value. There are numerous, and subtle, features Tableau provides that can be manipulated to truly create something special.

Ok, onto the solution!

First things first, how do we add a KPI indicator to a single Measure Value, without creating a calculated field, and changing the datatype (Int/Float to String).

The key to the first part is understanding a feature in Tableau that is not really talked about, Worksheet Formatting. Worksheet Formatting is solely contained within the Tableau Workbook, .twb file. Therefore, the properties of the formatting are not a part of the queries being sent to the Datasource, so we add string properties to it without breaking anything.

To do this, we simply need to format the the display of the measure in the Pane.

Step 1.png

As a shortcut, we can actually pick Currency (Custom) first, then switch over to Custom. This keeps the formatting from Currency Custom (Nice shortcut to avoid key strokes!)

Step 2.png

Step 3.png

Now we can add anything we want to this. Here is an example

Step 4.png

So how do we get the Up/Down KPI Indicator? Well this is actually a feature of Tableau that isn't well documented, but Tableau supports ASCII Shapes. So to get the Up/Down ASCII Shape, just hop on over to this Wiki page and copy/paste the shapes you want into the Format

Geometric Shapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Step 5.png

Ok, so we have that now, which by itself is great, but now we have these black/null values in the first partition of our Viz. Even though we aren't seeing anything in those spaces, that doesn't mean Tableau isn't doing something. If you look at the Marks at the bottom left of Tableau, you'll notice that it says 24, and not 21. So Tableau is completing the domain and drawing a "mark" even though there is no value for that space. Now we have a couple of options to handle this. One is by using ZN(), so that the mark shows as Zero, but that really isn't accurate. The Difference is not zero, it is N/A.

So to handle this, we have to remember that Tableau let's you "format" these marks via Special Values. But there is some weirdness about formatting Special Values when using Measure Values on the Text Mark cards. More details can be found here.

Formatting Geekery – Special Values in a Text Table | Drawing with Numbers

When we try to format Special Values using Measure Values, it doesn't do anything. Not 100% on why, but it just doesn't. So to get around this we need to add [Difference] to the Detail Shelf. This allows us to Fill in the Text for Special Values for that single measure.

Step 6.png

Once again, we can put whatever we want here. It is not limit to standard text. For example....

Step 7.png

So that's it. Not too challenging, but it is an awesome feature of Tableau. Adding even the smallest of visual cues to a Crosstab can help draw the users eye in. This is really beneficial for people looking to slowly move managers/execs away from traditional crosstabs

Cross Tab Reporting vs Visual Analytics

Thank everyone for participating!

Best regards,

Rody Zakovich

• 18. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
              Mark Bradbourne

Bravo, it was a good challenge. I'd rate it a 4 overall... but a 10 for usefulness!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 19. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
                Jonathan Drummey

I give this one a 2.5, but only because I've put in a lot of time helping people with conditional formatting, if not I'd guess it would be closer to a 4.

Jonathan

• 20. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
                  Ville Tyrväinen

3 for the challenge and 5 for the explanation. Nice work Rody

• 21. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
                    Nicole Edmonds

Totally late to the party on this one, which means spoilers to myself, BUT this is incredibly timely for me, as I was just thinking about a way to do this last week for one of my cross-tabs I have.  Great work here! 

• 22. Re: Educational Brain Teaser : Fun with Measure Value Formatting
                      kri shna

intresting.png

i am new to tableau i am finding these posting in community very useful , this making me feel tech hungry , keep serving your wisdom Pooja Gandhi Rody ZakovichRajeev Pandey and many more i will follow you people for more and more tech feed

1 2 Previous Next