Turnaround for Children is a rapidly-growing organization with a powerful and innovative approach for dramatic improvement of low-performing, high-poverty public schools. Turnaround has designed a targeted intervention to mitigate the stress of poverty on child development and learning. In each partner school, Turnaround creates a student support system that provides expedited access to quality mental health services for the highest-need students, trains teachers in strategies to build safe, supportive and productive classrooms and works with school leaders to execute a school improvement plan that leverages data, puts positive disciplinary practices in place and fosters a culture of high expectations. This allows every child to develop the social, emotional and academic skills to succeed in school and in life.
Over the past 13 years, Turnaround has grown from an idea to an organization with a $12.4 million budget and nearly 60 employees. Currently, Turnaround partners with 11 schools in New York City, Newark, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., serving over 4,000 students and 400 teachers. Turnaround’s central office is located in midtown Manhattan.
About the Position
The Data Analyst will play a primary role in establishing Turnaround as a first-class data shop by generating and clearly communicating data-driven insights about our program that, when implemented, will ultimately ensure that students receive the interventions that they need to thrive in school and in life. The Data Analyst will do this through asking the right questions and doing the right analyses for three streams of work: 1) building and managing data visualization tools through Tableau software, 2) ad hoc requests and 3) high-impact pilot projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Design, publish and continually refine a suite of data visualization tools built in Tableau software
- Review existing data systems (including multiple SQL databases, Tableau, Excel and "Tracker" field data entry web app) and recommend and implement priority improvements
- Establish a full set of data procedures and guidelines aligned to real practice, managed through the team's task management system (Asana)
- Work with field and program staff to understand school-based data needs and develop solutions to fulfill them
- Serve as analyst on at least one pilot project during the 2015-16 school year designed to test an idea with the potential for significant impact
- Occasional travel to Newark, New Jersey and/or Washington, D.C. as needed
Required Skills and Experience
- Exceptional analytical skills with experience providing data analysis in a fast-paced, quality-critical environment, preferably to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven track record of asking the right questions to understand needs and develop effective solutions
- Strong and sustained attention to detail with a high bar for accuracy; calm under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Track record of establishing effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels and across teams
- One to three years of work experience
- Knowledge of Tableau, R or other data visualization tools preferred
- Expert user skills with relational databases (e.g., SQL, Access and Salesforce); design experience preferred
- Demonstrated interest or experience in K-12 education preferred
- College degree strongly preferred; master’s degree preferred
Please visit our careers page (https://turnaroundusa.csod.com/ats/careersite/search.aspx?site=1&c=turnaroundusa) to complete our online application.
Compensation is competitive based on background and experience and includes excellent benefits. Turnaround for Children is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ***, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.